30/06 questions

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
Vikinghater

30/06 questions

Postby Vikinghater » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:29 am

Hey fellas I got a new rifle for my birthday 2 years ago and at the range I cant get it to print less than 5 inch groups at 100yrd.  It's a remington 700 30/06 and I use a lead sled at the range shooting 150 gr core locked . I switched to 165 gr to see if that would help but no dice.  I talked to my buddy who has the same rifle in .270 and he shoots federal premium 150 grain nosler balistic tips.  I went and got a box of these (holy cow $35 a box) and will try these.  My old worn out 7400 did better than this!  Is there somthing I am doing wrong?  While I was at the range there was a guy with a ruger 77 in a 22-250 shooting less than 1 " groups with hand loads! It was kind of dis heartining shooting next to him.  This is not my primary hunting rifle but I am still going crazy trying to get it set up ..HELP!

shaman

RE: 30/06 questions

Postby shaman » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:48 am

It could be a lot of things.  The crown may be damaged.  The rifle may not be bedded properly.  It's hard to say.  It could also be the lead sled.  30-06 isn't THAT heavy a round. Before I really pulled the panic button, I'd try shooting it without the sled off some bags and see what that gets you. It could be as easy as just not having a consistent cheek weld due to the sled.  If you really need that lead sled, then you may the kind of guy that just has a hard time with recoil and may be flinching.

Take a look at what you're going to invest in ammo getting this figured out.  Then think about what the cost of handing this off to a gunsmith is going to be. You may not have a  MOA rifle there, but it sounds like it may take a smith to get it to where you want it. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:29 pm

I usually site my guns in with my Lead Sled then after zeroing it in I shoot free-handed off a rest or bag to get the feel for it without assistance from the lead sled,another thing to consider is the recoil from your 30-06.After several years of hunting with my Remington model 742 semi-automatic Rifle I went with a Browning Bolt-action .243 Rifle because of flinching from the recoil and must say I'm very accurate and happy with it and have shot several nice Deer with it also.Last year I bought a used Remington 30-06 in a Bolt Action to try shooting the "Managed Recoil" shells from Remington in 125 grain.I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but I'm hoping to sight it in and see how well they perform and the amount of recoil I will get from them. [:D]

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:52 pm

I got a new rifle for my birthday 2 years ago and at the range I cant get it to print less than 5 inch groups at 100yrd. It's a remington 700 30/06 and I use a lead sled at the range

I saw your post & wanted to offer some advice ... however, the best advice I can offer is to tell you to make sure you read post #2 by Shaman the Cervid Serial Killer.

Vikinghater

Postby Vikinghater » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:14 am

I think it may be the sled, A friend of mine let me use his last year so I ran out to buy one right away.  I have had it print good groups the first year i had the rifle before the sled.

rem700

Postby rem700 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:50 am

frist make sure the gun is clean ( the frist 5 round are foul shots) most gun will shot one brand of ammo better then just picking up a box of ammo thats on sale. It may take 5 to 10 boxs of ammo to find the one our gun likes. as for the gun, bolts may be loseor to tied, scope not on right, there is alot of thing to look, and i do not know what you can do or not do as to working on our gun.   

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:58 am

Hey fellas I got a new rifle for my birthday 2 years ago and at the range I cant get it to print less than 5 inch groups at 100yrd. It's a remington 700 30/06 and I use a lead sled

One last thought ... sit down at a good solid bench ... get rid of the sled & get a couple of semi-soft bags to support your muzzle ... print a five shot group at 15 yards.

You should be able to cover that group with a quarter. If you can, and then go back to the 100 yard target & if you still get 5" groups ... then you'll know it's the gun and or the sights & not you.

If you can't print a 1" group at 15 yards ... go back & see post #2.[sm=rolleyes.gif]

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:27 am

You never said whether or not the gun was scoped. If it is that would be my 1st bet(loose rings etc.). Check all your stock screws to make sure they're tight. Check the front stud for the sling(if you have one) and make sure it's not contacting the barrel.
Did you clean it before you went to the range? You most definitely should have. When breaking in a barrel I clean after every shot for the 1st ten or so shots. Then switch to about every 4 shots. I always have cleaning gear on the range. Don't let that barrel get too hot. You should be able to fully grab ahold of that barrel right where the stock ends and hold on only feeling a slight warmth or that barrel will be changing the point of impact. A good gunsmith should be able to quickly look down the barrel and tell you if anything is wrong and not charge you. That gun should have a rate of twist to shoot bullets in the 150-180 grain range. Good luck.

Return to Guns and Ammo