slugs for an rem 870

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
slughunter71

slugs for an rem 870

Postby slughunter71 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:14 pm

Okay all you Rem 870 slug hunters What have you found to be your guns favorite slug. We just put a new cantilever barrel and nikon 2-7x32 scope on my sons gun and tried to sight it in yesterday with hornaday sst's which were the slugs he has ran in the past through his rifled barrel and worked well. We could not get the thing to to group up at all once you would be high and left make an adj to where it shouldhave been and it would go some where way crazy finnally gave up brought home to check to see if scope was loose and clean barrel have'nt been back out. But know that guns are as fussy as women when it comes to slugs. Know a guy who did same thing yesterday with a new Browning Silver shot about 5 boxes through 3 different flavors(hornaday sst's, federals and winchester) of slugs was not able to get any grouping at all finally went got a box of Rem Accu tips with one adj after first shot grouped 4 holes you could have covered with a 50cent piece.
So again what is your favorite flavor?

Sierra

Re: slugs for an rem 870

Postby Sierra » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:09 pm

Both of mine take Winchester. Tried remington sluggers, federal, etc. Tell you what, the now extinct Winchester BRIs were perfecto. I am still sighting in my latest one. I would stick with Winchester and work it through. Closest I get, and I am happy with progress. (I just got this gun so I will add to this when I finish with it. Shoulder needed a rest.)
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:52 pm

My wife's uncle will only shoot the Remington Copper Solids in his 870... My Mossberg 12 ga likes the Winchester SuperX, but only 2 3/4... a 3" round tumbles and doesn't group well.. the copper solids don't shoot well at all through my mossberg
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:11 pm

I tried the copper solids, and they did not work for me. Considering the frustration I am having with my new gun, hell, I might try them again. But going to run another 15 count box through of winchesters as I sight it first. The bruise on my shoulder is growing, and getting ouchier. :-)

Ifishandhunt

Postby Ifishandhunt » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:11 pm

I shoot a Remington 870 - rifled barrel with a scope. My favorite and most accurate slug out of that gun is the Remington Buckhammer. My gun liked them best... but alas, Remington discontinued them about 2 years ago and just yesterday I shot the last of my Buckhammers :( when I shot my doe on shotgun opening day. Accurate and hard hitting as heck! Wish i could find more... I'd be willing to pay a premium ;) . The deer practically drop on the spot when I nail 'em with the Buckhammer. The entry wound is huge and the exit hole is the size of a pickle jar lid.

I tried Federal and those slugs were all over the paper. I could never dial them in at 50 yards or 75 yards even with the scope on it. My backup ammo is the Remington Core Lokt Sabot slugs. Freakin expensive! They are pretty decent, fairly consistent but IMO not as good as the Buckhammers. But they will now be my 'go to' slug for now on since they seem the be the next best thing I've shot from the 870.

If you know someone with Buckhammer slugs... hit them up for some and see if your gun likes 'em!

Newenglandah

Postby Newenglandah » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:40 pm

Brenneke have always shot great out of my 870 but that is a smooth bore.

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:12 pm

You are not alone wanting extinct ammo. The best rounds I put through this shotgun are Winchester BRIs. We used the last of them when I first got it. :-(

DBogie59

Postby DBogie59 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:16 pm

I'll second the brenneke for my smoothbore Winchester. Been using the same case I bought in 1998 and still puts holes in the bulleseye at 50 yds

Ifishandhunt

Postby Ifishandhunt » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:10 am

I just picked up some 12 Gauge Brenneke K.O. Sabot 2 3/4" 1oz. slugs last night. Around $11 for 5 slugs. I will give them a try. I also saw Brenneke K.O.slugs for around $6 a box and it says for smooth AND rifled barrels. I did not buy those but was tempted due to the smaller price tag. Has anyone used them in a rifled barrel? How did they shoot?

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:03 am

Wonder how these would do.....they are designed accurate out to 200yards.
http://www.defensereview.com/1_31_2004/FRAG%2012.pdf
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Next

Return to Guns and Ammo