reloading ammo

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
rem700

reloading ammo

Postby rem700 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:43 am

What is the best way to store ammo, loaded or by the components?

Right now I load the rounds and vacuum seal the ammo with a foodsaver? 

shaman

RE: reloading ammo

Postby shaman » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:31 am

I don't see a huge difference one way or the other.  I've fired loaded ammo that was 60 years old without a problem.  On the flip side, I dig into my stash of primers that are going on 10 years old without a hitch.  Modern components are shelf-stable in the extreme.

You probably don't need to vacum seal ammo once it's loaded unless you're going to bury in the back yard.  Just keep it in a dry, cool environment.  I keep mine down the basement.   Usually, any environment that's comfortable for humans is okay for long-term storage of ammo.  

What kills ammo is intense heat more than anything-- some powders change properties after just an afternoon in a hot car.   Still that's usually not enough to keep them from going off , but it might change your point of aim.  Secondary to this is extreme high humidity.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

rem700

Postby rem700 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:42 am

to shaman

I live in FL the humidity is hight all the time. the vacum seal helps with the bass. and the humidity.

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:30 am

Okay, I see what you're saying.  Florida is different.    You're probably air conditioned however, and that changes a lot.  I'll go back to what I said before: anything that's comfortable for humans is probably okay for ammo.  Just don't leave the components or the ammo out in the garage.

One thing you can do is use ammo cans that have a hermetic seal.  This is true for ammo and for components. As long as its air tight, you probably won't have a problem.  That's how I keep my primers: in a 50 Cal. can.   I keep my deer loads in an MTM plastic dry boxes with a hermetic seal.  The case goes down with me before the start of season and then I bring it home as I'm closing up camp for the winter.  One thing I can tell you is that every time I open that box, I keep getting that "new ammo" smell. 

Here's what I'm talking about:

http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products/camping/dry_boxes.html

I'll tell you what:  I'll ask around for you and see what my reloading guru buddies have to say.  I'll probably have an answer by tomorrow.

rem700

Postby rem700 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:52 am

Hey

thanks for the help. As i said i live in fl (temp 80 90)(sealevel) and reload and test in fl, but i hunt in wv (temp 20 30) (above sealevel 1000 ft) How will that change the ammo I load?

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:07 am

Get a hold of POINTBLANK software.  It's free. Put in your general load info and then adjust the temp and altitude.  The answer is minimal effect if you're talking deer-type loads on deer-sized targets and normal whitetail distances.  However, if you're pushing the envelope . . .

The moral of the story should be  don't push the envelope. 

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:50 am

I double checked with my reloading buddies on their storage suggestions and got two responses:

I would think assembled ammo is better "sealed" to the humidity, especially as opposed to primers sitting in their trays and boxes.

As for vacuum packing ammo, I think your buddy might be a bit too anal on that one. Is he comfortable buying factory ammo at the local shop? Ever seen it vacuum packed on their shelves? whistle

Wouldn't the finished cartridge be basically "sealed"?? I don't know how much humidity/temperature control is involved but they're still pulling mil/sup ammo from WW2 out and it's still going bang.

As I said, I keep my primers sealed in a .50 cal ammo can. Everything else stays on the shelves.  All my reloading is in a dry part of my basement-- that's it.  The house is air conditioned.

rem700

Postby rem700 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:58 am

thanks for the help. I'm ex military. that is were i got the ide to vacuum seal ammo  

Return to Guns and Ammo