300 savage info

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
spiff2

300 savage info

Postby spiff2 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:10 am

Hey folks, I have the opportunity to pick up a remington 760 in 300 savage.  I don't know much about this cartridge though.  Is it comparable to a 270 or 30-06 in performance?  Flat shooter? Long range, hard kicker? Brush buster?  Is the caliber easily found in stores around the country?  What are the factory loads...grains?  Anyone have this gun and if so how do you like it?  It has a Bushnell Banner 3x9 on weaver mounts and seems very clean.    It has the letters PAZ stamped on the barrel.  Anyone know what year that would have been for the gun?    Any info would be helpful.

schlupis

RE: 300 savage info

Postby schlupis » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:58 pm

Spiff2 I have a savage model 99 in .300 savage and it is a fantastic deer rifle. It kicks about as much as a 30.30, my 6 year old fired this rifle with a little help from dad, so it does not kick hard at all. It is great for brush busting as you put it. I believe it is comparable to a .308 for range and just about as flat a shooter as the .308.

I have found the rounds for this gun in every store that sells ammo including wal-mart. I shoot the 150 gr but I think they go as high as 180 (not sure on that).

Sorry I dont know much about the stamping on your remington barrel...

My savage is a absoult joy to shoot, You will not be disapointed with this caliber. Please let us know how you like yours.

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:27 am

I have a Rem 760 in the .308, it's a good deer rifle and the .300 Savage is very comparible and a great Whitetail caliber. I had my gunsmith slick up the trigger and cut the stock placing a soft recoil pad on the butt for 'range days' when shooting in just a tee shirt. I would stay away from those 'see through' scope mounts that people like to place on these guns for some reason, it makes you lift your cheek up from where it should be when shooting through the scope. Mine shoots about 1 1/4"-1 1/2" with factory ammo. I handloaded some 130 Barnes and 135 Seirras but it either doesn't like the lighter bullets or I didn't find the right powder. One of my monthly mag's just had a write up on that caliber and the surprise was a 135 seirra hollowpoint over (I think) N135 which produced the best group at about 1/2". This was from a bolt gun though. If the price is right I wouldn't hesitate. Good luck.

CB

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:10 am

ORIGINAL: spiff2

Hey folks, I have the opportunity to pick up a remington 760 in 300 savage.  I don't know much about this cartridge though.  Is it comparable to a 270 or 30-06 in performance?  Flat shooter? Long range, hard kicker? Brush buster?  Is the caliber easily found in stores around the country?  What are the factory loads...grains?  Anyone have this gun and if so how do you like it?  It has a Bushnell Banner 3x9 on weaver mounts and seems very clean.    It has the letters PAZ stamped on the barrel.  Anyone know what year that would have been for the gun?    Any info would be helpful.

Grab it.
Is it comparable to a 270 or 30-06 in performance?  It is under both in performance, but not in a way that would affect deer hunting.  I think of it as the ideal deer cartridge

Flat shooter?
It shoots flatter than a 30-30, but less than a 308 WIN.

Long range?
Yes, if you do your part, it will do its.  However, it is not a 30-06.  Inside 150 yards, you won't notice a difference.

hard kicker?
No. It's slightly less than a 308WIN

Brush buster?
There is no such thing.

Is the caliber easily found in stores around the country?
I've seen it in a lot of places.  It is not as ubiquitous as 30-06 or 308WIN, but it's easier to find than many.

What are the factory loads...grains?  The typical load incorporates a 150 grain spire-pointed bullet. However, there are 165 and 180 grain loads.

Anyone have this gun and if so how do you like it?
I have a Remington pump in 35 Whelen that I love.  I have a 308 Win Savage 99 that I reload 300 Savage-esqe loads for.  If I had to pick an ideal deer rifle it would be pretty much what you're looking at.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

spiff2

Postby spiff2 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:21 am

Shaman, thanks for the info.  This is what I was looking for before making the move.  Is this a dying cartridge?  I don't hand load and am hoping it won't be extinct in the near future or go through the roof to buy a box of ammo.  Wondering if waiting for a 308 to surface would be a better option??  The shop I saw it at seemed anxious to move it...Is it the caliber that would be keeping this gun on the store rack??

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:25 am

ORIGINAL: shaman

Grab it.
Is it comparable to a 270 or 30-06 in performance?  It is under both in performance, but not in a way that would affect deer hunting.  I think of it as the ideal deer cartridge

Flat shooter?
It shoots flatter than a 30-30, but less than a 308 WIN.

Long range?
Yes, if you do your part, it will do its.  However, it is not a 30-06.  Inside 150 yards, you won't notice a difference.

hard kicker?
No. It's slightly less than a 308WIN

Brush buster?
There is no such thing.

Is the caliber easily found in stores around the country?
I've seen it in a lot of places.  It is not as ubiquitous as 30-06 or 308WIN, but it's easier to find than many.

What are the factory loads...grains?  The typical load incorporates a 150 grain spire-pointed bullet. However, there are 165 and 180 grain loads.

Anyone have this gun and if so how do you like it?
I have a Remington pump in 35 Whelen that I love.  I have a 308 Win Savage 99 that I reload 300 Savage-esqe loads for.  If I had to pick an ideal deer rifle it would be pretty much what you're looking at.

very well put sha!
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:30 am

Spiff2 I dont believe this is a dying cartridge it has been around forever and will be around forever....  As for prices going through the roof With Obama in the white house ammo prices are going to go through the roof regardless....

spiff2

Postby spiff2 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:27 pm

Is there an advantage between the 760 and 7600?  I know the latter is a newer model, but was the gun improved or is the 760 a better gun between the two? Is one considerd a better design or have better materials/workmanship?  Thanks. 

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:17 am

Shaman, thanks for the info.  This is what I was looking for before making the move.  Is this a dying cartridge?  I don't hand load and am hoping it won't be extinct in the near future or go through the roof to buy a box of ammo.  Wondering if waiting for a 308 to surface would be a better option??  The shop I saw it at seemed anxious to move it...Is it the caliber that would be keeping this gun on the store rack??

When I bought my Savage 99 in 308 WIN,  I was thinking about the same thing.  I was worried that the 300 Savage was on its way out.  Actually, since about 2002, there has been a resurgence in interest in the 300 Savage.  It's gotten a lot of good press and the rifle manufacturers have added offerings in this chambering.

It is not obsolete, not by a long shot.  What keeps it alive is that it is just the right amount of cartridge to take on nearly every deer hunting situation you'll ever encounter.  It is not a 300 Win Mag, so don't go trying to take one at 400 yards with this cartridge, but if your hunting is like mine, we're hard pressed to find a 100 yard shot in dense woods. 

Think of a spectrum starting with 30-30 WIN and ending with 300 Win Mag.  It's all the same 308 bullets (well, the 30-30 needs flat-nosed, but you get the idea).  It's just the case capacity that's different.  In that spectrum you have 30-30, 300 Savage, just ahead is 308 Win, then 30-06 and then 300 Win Mag.  300 Savage, in a good factory load is just a hair under 308 Win in performance and 308 Win is just a hair under 30-06 in performance, but neither difference is evident until you get out past normal deer hunting ranges. What you do get from 300 Savage is dramatically reduced recoil.

Are you always going to have 300 Savage around?  I don't have a crystal ball.  However, the ammo mfgs are still offering it and the mail-order houses are still carrying those offerings.  I'd say that as long as there is an internet, there will be 300 Savage ammo available. The doubts that drove me to opt for the 308 Win version of my Savage 99 are for the most part gone.

There was not a whole lot of difference between the 760 and the 7600.

I found this:
http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional_in ... on_760.htm

When Remington dropped the 760 pump, in 1981 they came out with the model 6 which was discontinued in 1987 & the following year the 7600 which is still currently being made.  It was a newer internal design pump, while still maintaining the same exterior configuration.   It was designated model 6, & the model 7600.  The calibers available were 6mm Rem. (discontinued in 1985)  243, 270, 30-06, & the 308.   A carbine in 30-06 was introduced  in 1988.  Again what ever was done for the 7400 was paralleled in the 7600 as for the wood, firing pins reinforced hardened steel insert rail in the receiver, scope mounting hole changes, locking lugs & magazine latch being enlarged.  The extractor was changed from the riveted in style, common with the 740, 742, 760 & the bolt action 700 to a non-riveted snap in type.  This new style extractor was also incorporated into the model 700 bolt action gun.  

My advice is to make him a low-ball offer and see what you get.  If you pass on this one, the 30-06 or 308 Win versions are frequently available.  I shot a minty 7600 in '06 a few weeks ago that has been sitting in a friend's closet for 10 years-- she got it willed to her from her father.  It probably had not been shot since Reagan's first term.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

spiff2

Postby spiff2 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:36 pm

Shaman, thanks for the info.  I enjoy seeing your reponses and knowledge.  I think I will low ball the shop and see what happens.  I've got "New England" father in law who is one of the more informed gun persons I turn to and it seems both of you might have come from the same mold! Thanks

Next

Return to Guns and Ammo