More 870 questions

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
Vikinghater

More 870 questions

Postby Vikinghater » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:13 am

Just read thru the best slugs thru an 870 barrel thread and have some more questions ..Now I have hunted with a rifle all my life but recently moved over to the east side of the state (WI) and any land close is shotgun only.  I traded an old used up spare 740 rem. for a good used 870 .12 guage rifled barrel at the local pawn shop.  It has a tasco red dot (which I hate, and removed)  and need to replace with a good scope . Any recomandations?  I have a remington 700 bdl in 30/06 with a nikon BDC and love it and am considering another nikon (slughunter BDC) for the 870.  Would the BDC reticle be worth it?  Can you really be accurate out to 200yrds with a slug?  I read on here not to use the trigger pin saddle mount and have heard that from others also, any thoughts ?  What kind of price range to drill and tap an 870 reciever?  

About the twist in the barrel, I understand it has a slower twist, so why would slower slugs work better?  I would have thought faster = more accurate. Can someone shed some light on this ?  Remember I have absolutely NO experience with slugs or slug guns so I am pleading ignorance !!!  Thanks in advance for any help  Troy

Patriot

RE: More 870 questions

Postby Patriot » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:36 pm

Vikinghater,
Even though you hate the Vikes, I won't hold it against you.[;)]

I've hunted deer for 21 gun seasons.  Everyone of them with an 870.  I have a variable 5 power scope (Bushnell 1.75X to 5X power) and utilize Winchester Supreme Partition Gold sabot slugs (2.75 inch, 385 grain).  I don't like long shots, but have taken several deer at 100 yards with that setup.  My brother dropped a nice doe a few years back at 180 yards with this gun.

Good luck.....and go Vikes![;)]
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Vikinghater

Postby Vikinghater » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:34 pm

HAHAHAH another football fan!  I can't dis the vikings this year especially the way my pack is playing!  How do you have your scope mounted? Is your gun drilled and tapped or the trigger pin mount?   I have some win partition gold slugs from recomandition from a friend , I also bought a box of the xp-3's but now from reading here I should experiment with slower slugs?

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:25 pm

My scope is mounted to the barrel.  Not sure how to explain it, so I figured the attached pic would help.  Not sure about ballistics and such.  Sorry I don't know much about guns.  I just shoot 'em....and my particular set up kills 'em dead.[;)]

Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

cutngut85

Postby cutngut85 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:58 am

When I bought my slug barrel, I bought the one from Remington with the scope attached, just like Patriots. Believe it is a Remington scope? I shoot the Remington Copper Solids 2 3/4 and they fly true out to 150 yds. I know it's not the best scope in the world. but it works, and as the old saying goes...."if it ain't broke......"

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:30 am

I have a remington 700 bdl in 30/06 with a nikon BDC and love it and am considering another nikon (slughunter BDC) for the 870.  Would the BDC reticle be worth it?  Can you really be accurate out to 200yrds with a slug? 

With today's sabot slugs, you could very well be accurate out to those ranges.  Would I shoot deer out to that range with a shotgun?  Probably not.  In that regard, I would think that the BDC reticle would be overkill for a shotgun.  I personally use a 4x fixed power scope with a standard duplex type reticle. My shotgun kills are typically within about a 50 or 60 yard radius.   My longest shot was roughly 50 yards with most of my shotgun kills being around 30 yard.  Decide for yourself the kind of shotgun hunting your most likely going to do.  If for example, your going to be in the woods most of the time then shorter shots will likely be the norm. 

I read on here not to use the trigger pin saddle mount and have heard that from others also, any thoughts ?  What kind of price range to drill and tap an 870 reciever? 

I've never had an issue with my b-square (trigger pin) mount and neither has my son.  I would like to hear some reason why this should be avoided.  I actually like this setup better because I didn't have to drill/tap my shotguns.  The only issue (and I struggle with using that word) is that I need to verify my zero every year.  But this is something one should do every year anyways.  Bowhunters for example spend countless hours dialing in their bows to ensure the arrows are hitting the mark.  Why should shotgun hunters be any different? 

About the twist in the barrel, I understand it has a slower twist, so why would slower slugs work better?  I would have thought faster = more accurate. Can someone shed some light on this ?  Remember I have absolutely NO experience with slugs or slug guns so I am pleading ignorance !!!  Thanks in advance for any help  Troy

All things being equal, a faster twist does equate to more accuracy. But there are a number of factors that upset the equation.  Projectile weight would be one of these factors.  I'm sure design is another. I'm pretty sure that most shotgun barrels have a rate of twist that averages around 1-30 or so.  I wouldn't overly concern myself with this to be honest. In fact, I couldn't tell you what the actual rate of twist is on my gun. Just try shooting various brands through your gun and then stick with the brand that seems to group the best. 

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:53 am

I have only hunted deer with a rifle and a muzzloader which means I don't have any advice I can give you with shotguns so Go Vikings!

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:48 am

vipertech,
I also use the B-square trigger pin mount. I believe the logic behind mounting the scope to the barrel lies with the interchangeable barrels on shotguns. Theoretically, the cantilever mount is aligned with the barrel rather than the receiver. At the ranges that I shoot at, the trigger pin mount works fine. I also leave my scope (2X) on the receiver when I put my turkey barrel on.
I too check my zero often. If I was terribly worried about it, I would pin my barrel to the receiver each time I change barrels out.

Vikinghater

Postby Vikinghater » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:03 am

Thanks for the info Viper.  I really want to be able to shoot out to 150 comfortably with this gun and I feel this is possible with it if I put the time and effort into finding what loads work best.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:42 pm

I shot an 870 Wingmaster with a Redfield rifle scope on a B square mount.  I don't know about accuracy out to 150 yards...I think that is wishful thinking.  Maybe on a bench, but it's a stretch in hunting conditions.
Anytime that you remove the barrel, you will have to resight it. I'd recommend putting a limb saver on the stock and a scope with adequate eye relief or you will surely develope a flinch. Scopes made for slugs will have longer eye relief as a rule.  I have scars between my eyes to prove it.  Anyone who has hunted with a slug gun long enough knows exactly what I am taking about. (remember...it only hurts the second time) 

Return to Guns and Ammo