blackpowder suggestions

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
Deebz

blackpowder suggestions

Postby Deebz » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:45 am

Hey Guys,

So I picked up a CVA Buckhorn muzzloader recently. I plan on using it to hunt whitetail. On the farm I mainly bowhunt most of my shots are within 100yds if I'm in the timber, but when i hunt the field edges I could have shots out to a mile (I obviously know I can't shoot that far). The other farm I hunt on is mostly longer range over open fields as there really isn't any timber to speak of.

I'm looking for suggestions on bullet type/weight as well as powder type/amount that will maximize my distance. I'm thinking I'll stick to bow and maybe the 12 ga for the one farm, and take the muzzy out to the open field farm.

I am brand new to muzzleloading aside from having shot them a few times. I did pick up some Hogdon pellets and some bullets just so I can shoot and get comfortable with the gun, but I'd like to hear from your experiences what may work best in hunting situation before i get all serious about sighting in.

Thanks!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Ohio farms

Re: blackpowder suggestions

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:07 pm

Hey Deebz, I've been using muzzleloaders in Ohio since they started allowing them sometime in the 80's. I have been using a T/C OMega for the last few years and it really is very accurate out to 100yds. I say 100yds because that is the farthest that I have ever shot it. It's very similar in NE Ohio in that most shots in the woods will be 100 or less.
I use TC ShockWave Sabots, 250 grains. Hodgdon triple seven 50 Gr. pellets (I use 2 = 100Gr.) It's recommended that you use this powder with 209 primers, not snapcaps. I'm not sure if your's uses 209's or not. I do shoot a 3 x 9 scope with it.
I have read that you can use 150 Gr of powder, but have also read that there may be some safety issues using that much.
Muzzleloaders are can be very accurate, fun and safe, but if you are not familiar with them, do some reading on safety issues on line or read any muzzleloader's manual.
Have fun with it and remember, "A clean muzzleloader is a happy muzzleloader."
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:22 pm

Thanks Ohio. Mine does use the 209 primers. I was reading the info on the powder pellets I bought and it says to only use 100 gr total. the literature on the gun says it is designed to safely handle 150 gr.... I think I'll start out at 100 and see how it shoots. If I feel like I want more range then maybe I can up the charge.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:48 am

Deebz,
Try lots of different bullets with different powder charges. I have a CVA Kodiak in 45 cal. I did test fire loads using 150 grains of pellets and found that I got better accuracy using 100 grains with the same bullet. I have since switched to loose powder, (Shockeys Gold) which I find to be much cleaner burning than the pellets. Be sure to swab out your bore between shots as the pellets will leave a "bathtub ring" in the bore that makes it hard to seat the next load. Part of the reason I went with loose powder is because I shoot a 45 cal and it's really hard to find 45 cal pellets around here. I shoot 225 grain Powerbelts with 100 grains of powder. I'm good out to a touch over 100 yards. I might get more range than that but I haven't done much test shooting at ranges over 100 yards. Loose powder also gives me the opportunity to modify my loads by smaller increments. I have done some testing with 90 grains and things look pretty good. With pellets you can only go to charges in increments of 50 grains. I think you'll like shooting the smoke pole. By the way, I loaded my Kodiak up On Dec 7th this year for Indiana's ML season. I didn't get a shot then or during the late doe season (due to tree removal and dredging the creek where most of my stands are located). I was out of town for the first two weeks in January. So I never got around to firing off the load in the gun until Jan 21st. So the loose powder load was in the gun for 44 days and still went "boom" when I pulled the trigger. I put a rubber cover over the bore (the thumb from a pair of examination gloves) to keep out moisture and I don't take the gun into the warm house after it's loaded. I either leave it (without a 209 primer on it) locked in my barn or in my garage.

Return to Guns and Ammo