HELP! Browning BAR question

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
iloveahunter

HELP! Browning BAR question

Postby iloveahunter » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:53 am

Okay, so I am buying my boyfriend a Browning BAR LongTrack for his 40th b-day.  I am certain about the caliber, 30-06, and the stock, but I have a question about whether to get him a left or right handed gun.  He is right handed, but since he is left eye dominant, he shoots left handed.  He has never had a left handed gun.  He currently hunts with a 300 Winchester short mag - right handed (I don't even know if there is a left handed version).

I realize this decision is personal, but I'd like to hear input from other hunters if you are left eye dominant but have always shot a right handed gun.  I'm confused about which one to buy because some hunters tell me to buy the right handed gun since he is right handed and it'll be easier for him to load with gun with his right hand.  But, others tell me to buy the left handed one because of where the shell ejects. 

Any thoughts would be AWESOME.  And no, I can't ask him, its a suprise!

PrairieShadow

RE: HELP! Browning BAR question

Postby PrairieShadow » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:36 pm

Browning doesnt make a left handed BAR. That should make your decision easier!!!
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

iloveahunter

Postby iloveahunter » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:10 pm

If they don't make it, I'm not sure what it's doing on Browning's website:  http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=002B&cat_id=031&type_id=352

It's new.  They make it.  And dealers - at least here in Vermont - carry it.

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:37 pm

If he shoots left handed then get the left hand gun.
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:19 am

That is an awesome gift. If he is shooting left handed I would get a left handed gun, he will get use to it. 

Is this a thing where you HAVE to give him the actualy gun that day? Are you buying at a local dealer? If so maybe you could give him a picture of the gun or a box of shells or something and after he gets all "giddy" you could take him to choose the left or right handed model.

You could give him the 30-06 shells (if he doesnt own a 30-06) and make him think you bought him the wrong caliber shells, then give him the gift of BAR.
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

paulie

Postby paulie » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:40 am

I agree, if he already shoots lefty, go with the left hand model. You really dont want the spent brass ejecting in your (his) face. BTW, he's one hell of lucky guy to have girl that buys such gifts!

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:50 pm

ORIGINAL: iloveahunter

If they don't make it, I'm not sure what it's doing on Browning's website:  http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=002B&cat_id=031&type_id=352

It's new.  They make it.  And dealers - at least here in Vermont - carry it.

I apologize, didnt realize they came out with one...
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

iloveahunter

Postby iloveahunter » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:54 am

Thank you for all the replies.  VERY appreciated. I am leaning toward the left handed gun because of the shell exit.  I don't necessarily HAVE to buy the gun and give it to him on his birthday, but I thought it would be a total bummer if I didn't have the gun and only told him I was going to buy it for him - kind of like opening a toy on Christmas that you can't play with. 

Thanks again.

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:02 am

If the dealer is carrying both lefty and right, pay for the gun and bring him in there and let him choose. 

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:58 pm

So you never told us. Did he like his gift? I own a Browning BAR in .30-06, and I love it! Best gun I ever shot!

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

Return to Guns and Ammo