need .308 ammo advice

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
rthomas4

Re: need .308 ammo advice

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:10 am

I've never known anyone who hunted with FMJ ammo for deer or anything other than humans. Deebz, also, the reason the military first adopted the 5.56 round was not for it's killing power; but rather for it's disabling power. In Viet Nam, the military learned that the Cong wouldn't leave their dead or wounded, so the 5.56 was adopted as a means of wounding the enemy so that it required two or more other combatants to assist in carrying the wounded soldier off of the field of battle. Also, as you probably know, the FMJ ammo has been outlawed by the Geneva Convention, and others such as the UN and NATO; but strangely enough under Obama, practically every Federal and state agency has been supplied with FMJ ammo. Makes you wonder what Obama's plans truly are!!!!!!!!!!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

bouche835

Postby bouche835 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:45 am

0331Sasquatch wrote:I recently took my new .308 on a Deer hunt in West Georgia. I am shooting a Hornady Match 168gr factory loaded BTHP. After shooting two does, clean shots through vitals, (lungs and heart) both does ended running 100+ yards after the shot. I'm thinking the BTHP match grade is too high of a velocity and there is no transfer of energy. There was also a very small exit wound as this shows little to no expansion of the bullet. I am thinking of switching to a soft point or nosler tip, but I love the accuracy of the rounds I am currently shooting. Any advice?

I just purchased a .308 Remington 700. Actually this was the first rifle that I have ever purchase. I won a hunting trip. I have never shot a deer before. After sighing in the scope. I went to the local gun store and was talking with a guy there about the best ammo for deer hunting. He told me to get the American Eagle 7.62x51mm 168 gr. The day of the hunt, a deer came out about 100 yrds. The shot was a little higher then I wanted but will chalk that up to nerves of seeing my first deer. One shot and he hit the ground. No running. I would recommend this ammo. It left a pretty good size exit hole. However my dad keeps telling me that the I need use a 150 gr. But I am pretty happy with the results.

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:18 pm

Good for you!!!

Now, go back to the store and buy as much of that American Eagle stuff as you can. You'll thank me.

The point is that if it works, don't try and fix it. Next year's batch may shoot high or low, or you may not find it at all. Stock up on the stuff that works in your rifle.

Congrats on the deer.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

bouche835

Postby bouche835 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:12 am

shaman wrote:Good for you!!!

Now, go back to the store and buy as much of that American Eagle stuff as you can. You'll thank me.

The point is that if it works, don't try and fix it. Next year's batch may shoot high or low, or you may not find it at all. Stock up on the stuff that works in your rifle.

Congrats on the deer.

Thanks you so much for the congrats. yeah I am planning on doing that. I read somewhere that people where having problems trying to find American Eagle ammo so I was planning on doing that.

Dinkus

Postby Dinkus » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:44 pm

Match bullets can be erratic when used for hunting. They are great in the accuracy department but one bullet may not expand while another might blow up with the same hit. Performance depends a lot on how much bone is struck. All of the major bullet companies make great hunting bullets. Hornaday's SST and Interlock line, Nosler's Accubond, Partition, and Ballistic Tip, Sierra's Gameking, Speer's HotCor all work very well. Remington CorLokt and Winchester Powerpoints have been around forever. I am a big fan of the bonded core bullets like the Accubond and Fusion, but any of the bullets listed above are great on deer. There are plenty more, especially the new monolithic bullets like the Barnes and GMX but they are not really needed for deer. If you don't mind spending 3X the bucks they will will work too.

Previous

Return to Guns and Ammo