What gun to buy?

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
Deebz

Re: What gun to buy?

Postby Deebz » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:58 am

My cousin had one of the new SCAR rifles in .308. He had a huge scope on it, and we were having fun drilling metal plates at 200+ yards. I hated shooting it though. It had a synthetic stock, and while there was almost no felt recoil in the shoulder, with my cheek on that synthetic stock it felt like I was getting slapped in the face every time I pulled the trigger.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:10 pm

I thought there was an available cheek pad for the SCAR. I'm surprised that it did that to you with a .308 round, I'd like to get a .308 upper for my Bushmaster, but the prices I've seen for the uppers are almost as much as the entire rifle. Not to mention new magazines, and another scope.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:33 am

The fact that we were shooting in about 15 degree weather may have added to the "slap factor"...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

hunter4life

Postby hunter4life » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:07 pm

shaman wrote:If you want to do Moose, I'd take a small step up and go with a 30-06. It has a wider range of bullets available, and I know you can take a Moose with 30-06 180 grainers. All my kids got a 30-06 when they came of age. It'll handle anything in North America outside of possibly the biggest bears. They shoot 150 grain loads and find them quite reasonable on whitetails.

If moose is in the mix, don't choose the 243. The 270 WIN would DEFINATELY be a better choice for moose between the two choices you gave originally.

Being 12, you're may be right on the cusp of being able to handle an adult stock. My sons differed on when they moved to adult-sized rifles. Mooseboy, #2 son, was using an M1 Garand. Angus, #3 son, was on a youth-stocked 30-06 at 12. Having the right-sized rifle stock makes a lot of difference in how much recoil you feel. Before you buy a particular rifle, do a little research. I'd recommend a rifle that is adult-sized (rifle barrel, etc.) but has an aftermarket youth stock available. That way, if you find the stock is too long, you can buy a $50 yute stock and throw it on for a few years until you're finished growing. Then put the adult stock back on and save the yute stock for your first kid.

Angus is turning 16 this spring. I just put away the last youth stock this summer, but my first grand daughter (little Mooselette) is turning 2 soon. It won't be long before that youth stock comes back out of the closet again.

BTW: As much as I like the 308 WIN, I will just say that in this case I'd prefer 30-06. Why?

308 WIN -- short action
30-06 -- long action

30-06 has a longer action than 308 WIN so it is going to be a heavier rifle. Heavier rifles mean less recoil. Yes, it'll weigh more to carry it, but it'll be easier on your shoulder. My #2 son, Moose was shooting an M1 Garand for several years-- a 10.5 lb rifle. The recoil on it was much less than my 8 lb Savage 99 in 308 WIN.
i weigh 155 pounds and im 5'6" and im not scared of recoil. My dad is going to let me use his 30-06 and i want to try a tompson center demeniton and see if it feels right but thanks ! :D

Previous

Return to Guns and Ammo