muzzleloader primer preference?

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
luvhuntin

muzzleloader primer preference?

Postby luvhuntin » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:56 am

I had a dud primer (777) cost me a very nice buck yesterday. Or my inexperience hunting with a muzzleloader did, If i had a backup primer easily accessible I would have a different ending to my hunt today. So is it common for a primer to not fire? what`s the best way to store them? Should a guy use a sealed container with a desiccant? i guess this is one subject i did not come across studying muzzleloader basics after my purchase.

Sure hate finding out the hard way after this long empty freezer season.

Retranger

Re: muzzleloader primer preference?

Postby Retranger » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:58 am

Never had a problem with primers, I use the 209 shotgun primers. You could carry them in the plastic 35mm film container with cotton balls etc to keep them from rattling around. The only miss fire I have had was with the powder not igniting.
Doug

yamazinger

Postby yamazinger » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:32 am

never had a problem with my primers yet. i cant remember what primers i use but they were muzzleloader specific 209 primers, i think winchester. if you want to carry spare primers id recommend a speed loader. its a little plastic tube the size of a big marker that you put in a premeasured powder charge and bullet and just keep a primer in it as well. its water tight and they cost like 5 bucks. good to have if you need a follow up shot or in your case a backup primer.

Muzzle-Loaders

Postby Muzzle-Loaders » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:02 pm

Misfires in muzzleloaders are not that uncommon, but it can usually be remedied through several different things. One of the first things to check is how clean the area that the primer seats. If there is any buildup there, it will not allow the primer to seat correctly, and will sometimes cause it to not fire. Another thing is to make sure that you're cleaning that area with an alcohol based cleaner, and making sure that it is fully dry before priming. Since you were hunting, I doubt this was the issue. Another thing is to make sure that your primers are somewhat fresh. If they are a few years old, and have not been kept in a dry area, there is a good chance that some of them may not shoot.

What I would do, is shoot off 10 caps, and see how many do not fire. 1 out of 10 will sometimes not fire, but anything more than that and you either have a primer or gun issue. Usually it is the primers. I recommend keeping a speed loader handy, as it will definitely help if you ever have a primer not ignite in the future.

Good luck, and I hope you get it figured out soon!
Happy Hunting & God Bless

www.Muzzle-Loaders.com

mnslayer

Postby mnslayer » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:00 pm

cci or winchester 209s. I also keep two spares pressed into the recoil pad screw holes fit great on cva rifles and are always handy just in case. Keep the breech plug clean this will account for most miss fires.

luvhuntin

Postby luvhuntin » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:30 am

I have been out to the range the last two weekends with the gun and so far no problems with it firing. (total of 25 shots over two weekends) SO.....

I hunted the day before & The primer I used the second morning was stored in the recoil pad of the gun the day before. There was a good snow pack on the ground, So I can only assume at this point that cold temps and laziness by not taking the primers out of the recoil pad after the hunt were a perfect recipe for condensation to kill the primer.

Right now I am working on getting this gun to shoot 3 shots in a row that are acceptable, the first shot out of the gun makes me look like a pro. after that I would be more confident taking a 100 yd shot with my bow in a 30 mph crosswind.

I`m going to switch out the powersmelts with a couple of different sabots and go from there. from all the searches I`ve done this week it sounds like that is a good place to start.

Thanks & have a great season.

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:58 pm

DSCN6795b.JPG
DSCN6795b.JPG (40.65 KiB) Viewed 683 times
I use Winchester 209 primers in my muzzleloader. Never had a problem. (yet) I have a small rubber primer holder attached to the front sling swivel with a key chain. It holds 3 primers. I believe it was bought at a WalMart and had a Thompson Center label on the package. You could also attach it to your hat,or a buttonhole.etc
Attachments
DSC01026post.jpg
DSC01026post.jpg (286.71 KiB) Viewed 683 times

luvhuntin

Postby luvhuntin » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:05 pm

Did some more range work today and am not totally satisfied but comfortable that a shot through a clean gun will produce a kill shot.

I had a heck of a time two weeks ago. The large group pic the first shot is in the red border @ 100 yds. the two highest shots are #2 & #3! :shock:
the first two shots were taken without running a patch of any kind. the 3rd was a wet patch and two dry without the breech plug removed.

So after looking for info anywhere i could find it over the last two weeks I talked to a buddy of mine who had worked in the gun dept at a big box hunting store. he told me at a range day once with a rep from CVA they wet patch and then dry patch after every shot with the breech plug removed.

so the 'SMALLER GROUP" pic the high left target was the beginning target first shot hit the red again #2 is high and #3 I believe is in the same hole as the first.I then switched to hornady SST sabot rounds in a 300 gr bullet. that group is in the lower left of the " SMALLER GROUP" pic. I did`nt like that group so I went back to the 250 gr powerbelt aerolite and took 6 more shots at the target. all shots were 1 wet patch and 2 dry with the breech removed. this was all using 100 gr of pyrodex pellets.

I`m not a huge rifle shooter and was doing all this off of a sandbag and a riser at the DNR range it is a bit annoying to shoot there to say the least, the lanes are designed to overload just about any hearing protection known to man unless you use earmuffs over earplugs.

have a good day

thanks for the pic of the primer holder Wanderer, I have to get me one of those.
Attachments
smaller group.jpg
smaller group.jpg (172.43 KiB) Viewed 605 times
large group.jpg
large group.jpg (136.72 KiB) Viewed 605 times

JJckerions

Postby JJckerions » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:33 am

Also frustrated in the ultimate against Malaysia, which began well but skipped twice and then vanished.And while other gamers like Johnson Muller, writer of five objectives and four helps , go without an prize that is more promotion than truth. Messi outsells a In Archeage Gold german with tights and downs that FIFA has depended to RS Gold allow the prize for best gamer of the competitors.Leave aside the discussion about whether the best gamer on the globe or not, what is obvious is that Messi has not been anywhere near the best gamer in the World .

Return to Guns and Ammo