muzzleloader primer preference?

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
luvhuntin

muzzleloader primer preference?

Postby luvhuntin » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:56 am

I had a dud primer (777) cost me a very nice buck yesterday. Or my inexperience hunting with a muzzleloader did, If i had a backup primer easily accessible I would have a different ending to my hunt today. So is it common for a primer to not fire? what`s the best way to store them? Should a guy use a sealed container with a desiccant? i guess this is one subject i did not come across studying muzzleloader basics after my purchase.

Sure hate finding out the hard way after this long empty freezer season.

Retranger

Re: muzzleloader primer preference?

Postby Retranger » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:58 am

Never had a problem with primers, I use the 209 shotgun primers. You could carry them in the plastic 35mm film container with cotton balls etc to keep them from rattling around. The only miss fire I have had was with the powder not igniting.
Doug

yamazinger

Re: muzzleloader primer preference?

Postby yamazinger » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:32 am

never had a problem with my primers yet. i cant remember what primers i use but they were muzzleloader specific 209 primers, i think winchester. if you want to carry spare primers id recommend a speed loader. its a little plastic tube the size of a big marker that you put in a premeasured powder charge and bullet and just keep a primer in it as well. its water tight and they cost like 5 bucks. good to have if you need a follow up shot or in your case a backup primer.

Return to Guns and Ammo