Question about T/C Venture rifle

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
dollarbill300

Question about T/C Venture rifle

Postby dollarbill300 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:58 pm

Was wondering what everyone thought about this rifle. The reason I am asking is because a large retail chain is selling these for $299.98 after a 75 dollar mail in rebate. My concern is because I read about these guns having issues with the trigger or safety. At this price point do you think it is worth it?

rthomas4

Re: Question about T/C Venture rifle

Postby rthomas4 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:26 pm

I don't own a Venture, but know a few people over on the NAHC site that do, and they love 'em. I do know there was a recall for some reason, but that was quite a while ago. I'd have to believe that all of the guns being currently sold aren't subject to the recall, and from the sounds of it someone got a deal on the wholesale cost and is actually being honest and passing the deal to their customers.

I do own a T/C Encore in .308, and if I had known many years ago, what I know now, I'd have owned one a long time before I ever did. It probably would have saved me a ton of money since I could have bought several barrels instead of many different rifles!!!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

dollarbill300

Postby dollarbill300 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:12 am

Rthomas4,

Thanks for the response. I was thinking about getting a rifle and this seemed like a good price. I was hoping that they would have corrected any issues before putting on a sale like this. Probably trying to get that particular model back into people's hands. I'm going to stop by the store and check these out.

How did your deer season here in SC end up last year? I only saw 2 deer and did not get a shot on either one of them. Gonna try and learn as much as I can to get better for next year. Now, I'm getting ready for turkey season. On my days off now I'm going down to scout for turkey. I'm also new to that. Any tips...

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:18 am

I killed eight deer on my property with my T/C Encore .308, one deer in front of the dogs with a Remington 1100 shooting 00 buckshot, and then one deer and one hog down in Florida also with the T/C.

My best advice is to hunt as often as possible, know the area where you're hunting and the trails the deer use, and hunt with the wind in the right direction. I plant food plots on my property and use trail cameras to identify the animals I want to take out of the herd. I also use bait and basically hunt every single day of the season, which is August 15th to Jan. 1st. The more you're in the woods, the higher the odds are that you'll kill deer; you can't kill 'em if you're sitting in the house. If you're new to hunting, try to hook up with someone who has some experience and get them to mentor you. There are a lot of older guys out there who love to hunt, but aren't able to get out on their own and kill a deer then get it out of the woods. Those are the guys who would appreciate having a younger person help them get out and hunt...........and those are the guys who have the wisdom and the knowledge to share.

As far as scouting for turkeys, just get out and listen and watch. Don't practice calling since you'll only educate the birds prior to the season. Do your practice while driving, using the computer or watching tv. Get out in the early morning and listen for birds flying down off of the roost, then watch during the middle of the morning and afternoon to see if you can see 'em as they feed. Then again in the late afternoon listen for the old boss hen to call the rest of the flock to gather and fly up to the roost. Turkeys are like deer, and wherever the girls are, the old boys ain't gonna be far behind!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Firearm4U

Postby Firearm4U » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:15 pm

rthomas4 wrote:I killed eight deer on my property with my T/C Encore .308, one deer in front of the dogs with a Remington 1100 shooting 00 buckshot, and then one deer and one hog down in Florida also with the T/C.

My best advice is to hunt as often as possible, know the area where you're hunting and the trails the deer use, and hunt with the wind in the right direction. I plant food plots on my property and use trail cameras to identify the animals I want to take out of the herd. I also use bait and basically hunt every single day of the season, which is August 15th to Jan. 1st. The more you're in the woods, the higher the odds are that you'll kill deer; you can't kill 'em if you're sitting in the house. If you're new to hunting, try to hook up with someone who has some experience and get them to mentor you. There are a lot of older guys out there who love to hunt, but aren't able to get out on their own and kill a deer then get it out of the woods. Those are the guys who would appreciate having a younger person help them get out and hunt...........and those are the guys who have the wisdom and the knowledge to share.

As far as scouting for turkeys, just get out and listen and watch. Don't practice calling since you'll only educate the birds prior to the season. Do your practice while driving, using the computer or watching tv. Get out in the early morning and listen for birds flying down off of the roost, then watch during the middle of the morning and afternoon to see if you can see 'em as they feed. Then again in the late afternoon listen for the old boss hen to call the rest of the flock to gather and fly up to the roost. Turkeys are like deer, and wherever the girls are, the old boys ain't gonna be far behind!

Really good information for the first timers or beginners out there. Your advice is well noted.

Return to Guns and Ammo