Best rifle for hunting deer?

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
ZackLemanski

Best rifle for hunting deer?

Postby ZackLemanski » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:21 am

Hi. I am 15 and was wondering what the best hunting rifle was. Not a lot of kick, good accuracy, powerful, and a medium weight? Where can I get one in Kentucky? Can you share your experiences with this gun?

rthomas4

Re: Best rifle for hunting deer?

Postby rthomas4 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:24 pm

You can probably ask 10 people for an opinion on what the best brand and cartridge for a hunting rifle is, and get 10 different answers. The brand isn't that important these days, since most of the guns on the market are all pretty similar in design and quality. Fit is more important than brand, and then your personal comfort is the most important thing to consider when deciding on cartridge. Depending on your size and how much recoil you can handle without flinching, as well as your ability to consistently be accurate with what you're shooting is the deciding factor.

Probably the most common cartridge in use today is the .30-06, followed by the .270, .308, 7mm-08, .243 .30-30, .300 and .7mm. Recoil wise, the .243 is the least, followed by the .308 and 7mm-08 which are pretty much the same. The .7mm is probably the hardest kicking, followed by the .300 and then the .30-06 and .30-30. There are also different cartridges such as the 6.5 Creedmore, the .260 .280, and .25-06 that are all pretty popular........and let's not leave out others such as the .223 and the .22-250.

What you really need to do is decide on a price range, and find out what ammunition is readily found in your area. Then see if you can locate people who might be willing to let you shoot various makes, models, and cartridge types before trying to decide on what's the right one for you. Will you end up liking a semi-auto, pump, bolt action, single shot, or lever action and what type of distances will most of your shots be taken on deer sized game are also important parts of the decision process.

You can own the most expensive rifle in the world; but if you can't consistently place your shots effectively, then you may as well be using a home made slingshot. So, don't let other people make the decision for you, only you can decide what's the best gun for you!!!!!!!!!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

shaman

Postby shaman » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:44 am

Hi. I am 15 and was wondering what the best hunting rifle was.
Not a lot of kick, good accuracy, powerful, and a medium weight? Where can I get one in Kentucky? Can you share your experiences with this gun?

I've been writing a lot about this for the forum over the past few years. A lot of my responses are on my weblog, like these two:

So you're looking for a new deer rifle, huh?

and this one:
So you STILL want a new Deer Rifle???

Most of what I wrote still stands up and may be of help to you. Just about any centerfire rifle you find will be able to take deer. However, I would stick to the middle of the road. My sons all shoot 30-06, but they're big guys (nicknames of Moose and Angus)

Kick? I do not know your size, but at 15, a 30-06 may be the most you find comfortable. The key here will be to try a few and see what makes sense.
Accurancy? Most new rifles have the capacity to be accurate enough to give you 4" groups at 100 or better off a bench. I would not worry about the inherent accuracy of a given chambering or rifle. It comes down to the individual rifle and what it likes.
Weight? The weight of the rifle will determine, in part, the amount of recoil. When I used to take my youngest son out, I used to let him shoot deer with a 15 lb bench rifle. The recoil was negligible. It sort of depends how you intend to hunt. If you go to a blind or a treestand, and then shoot off a rest, weight will be unimportant. If you are going to still hunt or stalk, you may want a lighter rifle.

Getting a rifle in Kentucky? It depends on where you are located. You are under-age, so you will have to have a parent or guardian involved. My first suggestion is to see what your relatives have in their gun safes that you might be able to acquire. From there, I'd try the local gun stores.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

ShienoO

Postby ShienoO » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:36 am

in my opinion , try Winchester Model 70 , Several versions of the M70 have existed: pre-64, post-64, and Classic. Winchester redesigned it in 1964, and in the 1990s introduced a version similar to the pre-64, called Classic. Many versions, grades, and chamberings available.

Return to Guns and Ammo