TC Hawken?

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
1Morgan

TC Hawken?

Postby 1Morgan » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:09 am

Didn't get any interest on this in the muzzleloader section (don't think ppl scroll all the way down) so I'm reposting it here.

I just picked up a used TC Hawken .50. It's not in great shape, I know there is a lifetime warranty for the original owner but I was thinnking of sending it back to the factory and get their opinion on it. I only paid $50 for it and got 2 cans of powder and a bunch of other stuff too so even if it isn't safe to shoot $50 wasn't a bad deal.
South Carolina Low Country

mgemmill

RE: TC Hawken?

Postby mgemmill » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:42 am

I would take it to a local gunsmith and get their opinion. I might even call T/C Arms they are very good about taking care of their customers.

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:04 pm

A TC Hawken?  For $50???  If has no visible bulges, original blue, and no signs of abuse, it's probably safe to shoot. First make sure it's not loaded by shoving the ramrod down and measuring how far it goes.   
TC. Get some fresh powder,  ram a ball down over 70 grains of 2F powder,  tie it off to an old tire and then step back about 10 yards and set it off with a lanyard from behind a tree.  If it holds together, you're probably okay. 

I am not a gunsmith, but I have been shooting a .54 TC Hawken since 1984.   You probably could get a gunsmith to look at it for less than it'll cost to send it back.

If what you're looking for is a deer rifle, you may want to think about buying a Green Mountain IBC barrel for it in 1-in-28"  .  It'll shoot conicals a lot better than the original TC barrel that was meant more for round ball. 

$50 is a great buy.  I'd double your money sight unseen just for the parts.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:41 pm

It shot great this weekend. We didn't think it was loaded but popped a few caps anyway, (it was tied inside the tire), then used some powder and a wad and got flame out of the bbl, then loaded a prb over 90grains and she fire fine. The she went to the shoulder. 1st shot was 2 in left and 1 in high.

I'm going to send it back to TC and see if they will deep clean the bbl and re-work the hammer. Can't believe the guy sold it to me for $50!! List on the TC site is over $750!! I can't wait to get it in the woods.

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:17 am

I shipped it out yesterday, so I should hear something back in a few weeks. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Return to Guns and Ammo