Howdy and Pics of my Marlin

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
Greenhorn

Howdy and Pics of my Marlin

Postby Greenhorn » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:35 am

hello all... I am getting antsy for deer hunting and just finished up customizing my Marlin 336A.

Marlin 336A
Factory Laminate stock and forend
WWG Happy Trigger
WWG Bear Proof Ejector
DRC Stainless Steel follower
Bushnell Legacy 2-7x32
Leupold QRW Low rings
Hammer and Lever Polish

Chambered in Win. .30-30.

tnt1960

RE: Howdy and Pics of my Marlin

Postby tnt1960 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:24 am

Nice gun! I used to have one just like it in 44 Mag. I took a nice buck with it. You could have been blind, and still followed the blood trail! Good luck, and welcome to D&DH forum! [:)]
You can`t grill it till you kill it. For great sales/service, go to http://www.oneidabows.net/

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:33 am

sweet looking rig! Now you will have to provide pictures of the damage it causes!

Welcome to the forums!

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:26 am

That's a cool rig.   Welcome to the forum.

I'd be interested if you could give some more detail on the 3rd-party add-ons, particularly why you chose them.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Greenhorn

Postby Greenhorn » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:37 am

I have been working on a couple 1940's model 36's and really appreciated their design. I dont like plastic in my rifles so I changed out the follower. I had a cracked one before and it gave me headaches till I figured it out. I decided to save myself the pain this time. The trigger was a learning process. I am building a "scout/trapper" marlin and wanted experience with it before I attempted it on the short barrel. The ejector was a part I had laying around, I picked up two from a guy for the price on 1 so I thought what the heck. The stock was because I needed the wood off it, actually had walnut to begin with, but thats going on the scout, so I thought I would try the laminate (which is not my favorite by far) and it worked well with the blued.
I had decided to turn the scope mount around and replaced the rings, and then got a wild hair you know where and this is what is the result. Shot it last weekend and the trigger really makes a huge difference for bad shots like me. I actually did very well, and was so happy with myself I posted pics here of her. Removed the sleeve on the stock and actually enjoy the laminate. Its heavier than the birch, and comparable to the walnut, but with a better recoil pad. My best group was 1.53" which is amazing for me. I shoot out in woods, off a rock at about 97 yards.
Mostly this gun arose from the fact that I cant stop tinkering...its how I learn. This was my beater/learner... only in the sense I could take it apart and check out all the pieces and then reassemble with confidence and it still would shoot well. Think its about done now, feels right, and I shoot it better than most of my others.

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:09 am

Welcome to the forum, great looking gun. My first and only deer rifle is the Marlin 336W 30-30 and I have found that it loves the Hornady LeveRevolution ammunition. I can effectively shoot out to 200yards where before I would have been scared going over 125 yards. If you haven't tried the Hornady ammunition yet I suggest you give it a try. Again great looking gun, I hope to buy a stainless 308 or 338 Marlin Express in that stock before too long.

thirtywide

Postby thirtywide » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:09 am

I have a MARLIN 336C IN 35 CAL I think i have had it since i was 16 i am 60 now it has the original marlin 2.5 power scope all i need in north carolina woods killed a mess of deer with it one shot is all it takes with 200grain bullet i have a 30-06 but i like the malin the best.

Return to Guns and Ammo