H&R 20ga Deluxe Slug Gun

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
bgbckdwn

H&R 20ga Deluxe Slug Gun

Postby bgbckdwn » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:49 am

Hi all, newbie to the forum here.  I've been searching for some answers on my Slug gun mentioned above.  I've had problems getting this thing sighted in and was hoping for some suggestion or info on how to do this.  At 50yds, I'll hit where I'm supposed to about 1 in every 5 shots, the others will be scattered around the target.  At 100yds, 1 may it the paper and the others who knows. 

I was concerned that I may have had rifling problems w/the gun and sent it back for testing.  Testing revealed nothing wrong, in fact the gun shot 1/2" groups w/3 shots at 50 yards and 1" groups at 100yds from a vise set up w/Federal slugs.

I've since read articles saying that a slug gun needs to be sighted in and/or shot differently as far as how you hold the gun b/c of the lack of velocity as compared to a rifle.  Is there any truth to this and if so, what do I need to do?  What are some other suggestions that you may have as well.  I have a Leupold 3x9 scope w/ weaver mounts.  Thanks in advance for info.

Tommy  

CB on the run

RE: H&R 20ga Deluxe Slug Gun

Postby CB on the run » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:06 am

Need more information. Did H&R shoot the gun with the scope? Did they inform you which Federal Sabot they used? Are you shooting off of a solid bench with sandbags front and rear?
Rifled slug guns do not preform like rifles and if your gun truely shoots a 1" group at 100 yards then you have an exception gun. I have dealt with 12-15 rifled slugs guns over the last decade, pumps, autos, bolts and single shots from Benellis, Brownings, Remingtons to Mossbergs and Savages. Most will shoot in the 3-4" area at 100 yards. I have one that I kept that will shoot about 1 1/2" @ 100 on a good day when I'm doing everything right.
I would find out what ammo they used. Make sure everything is perfect with the scope and bases(I have sent two Leupold scopes back to be fixed). Deep clean the barrel by 1st using J&B paste and a Tornado brush, then Hoppes/shooters Choice/Butches Bore shine and repeat until patches comes out perfectly clean, then an extremely light coat of Kroil oil. Store barrel down in your cabinet so any excess oil will run down the barrel and not into your action or stock. Head to the range on a nice cool morning with little or no wind and low humidity. Sandbag that gun front and rear and cushion your shoulder. Start out at 25 yards, move to 50 and sight in dead on at 75 unless your strickly shooting a field from a stand then sight in at 100. Take a bore snake, solvent, patches and cleaning rod with you. Clean the barrel every 3-5 shots and let the barrel cool an honest 10-15 minutes between shots. Heat and fouling build up extremely quickly in slug guns and ruin accuracy. You are asking a lot of a small piece of plastic(sabot) traveling at 1400-2000fps. Good luck.

CB

bgbckdwn

Postby bgbckdwn » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:04 am

Thanks for the info CB.  They shot it w/out a scope but locked down in a vise.  Gun was shot with 3" Federal Barnes Polymer tipped ammo.  They sent me the paper targets and ammo boxes when they sent the gun back.  I was amazed to see how close the rounds were at each distance.  The patterning certainly wasn't the gun. 

Scope to my knowledge was tightened down to specifications and I was using a bench rest at a shooting range.  My rest could have been in question a I was just using my elbows and shoulder as points of contact as if I were in the field.  This has not been a problem in the past w/rifles but I've read recently that b/c of the lack of velocity, that the slug gun has to be pulled in and downward from the forearm of the gun to compensate for this.  Have you heard this?  Heat could have also been a problem as I've only tried to sight it in during the summer months thus far.

I'll use the info that you have provided when trying to sight in again.  Thanks

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:01 am

No, I have not heard that theory. The Federal 3" Barnes expander w/polymer tip is moving close to 1900 fps is my memory is correct. I currently shoot the Federal/Barnes original expanders(large hollow point) out of both my current slug guns. I will be doing some more testing with the 20ga though as the Hornady's seemed to group better. I like what Barnes bullets do especially in the field but their cost can be prohibitive.
I can't stress enough what I stated prior or you'll find yourself frustrated and burning $$ at the range. Double check that scope and mount. Sandbag that gun. I use empty shot bags from reloading supplies but you can use the cut legs from old jeans and kitty litter. Pad your shoulder well and if you find yourself flinching put the gun away until another day. Make sure you have a full sight picture on the scope also. Shooters on the range that have been kissed by their scope tend to do one of two things: either get back too far on the gun thus not having a complete scope picture or getting their sight picture correct and bracing themselves and closing their eyes while pulling the trigger.
One other thing I forgot to mention earlier, I have all my triggers worked. Most are at three pounds for my shotguns(my Benelli at 4.5lbs because it's a two stage trigger) and 2-2.5 for my rifles. It means a lot especially if it's a long trigger pull. Good luck

CB

mgemmill

Postby mgemmill » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:59 am

I have 2 H&R slug guns and they both are tack drivers at 100 yds. I shoot 2.75 lightfields and that is what they like 20 and 12. My 12 will also shoot 2.75 Breneke Golds without moving the scope. I have taken deer from 25 yds out to 150 with no problems. Check tour scope for tightness and make sure cross hairs are not broken. These guns are very accurate with the right slug /scope combo. I also shoot off a bench when sighting in. Hope this helps.

bgbckdwn

Postby bgbckdwn » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:55 pm

thanks I appreciate the info.

Return to Guns and Ammo