New Remington SPS Superslug

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
Nighthawk

New Remington SPS Superslug

Postby Nighthawk » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:46 pm

Does anyone know if this gun offers beaded or rifled sights.? It says it comes drilled and tapped for easy scope mount, but is that a form of cantalever? Also has anyone heard of anything larger than a 3" 20 ga. slug and what gun might shoot it?

thx

FFKEVIN

RE: New Remington SPS Superslug

Postby FFKEVIN » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:40 pm

ORIGINAL: Nighthawk

Does anyone know if this gun offers beaded or rifled sights.? It says it comes drilled and tapped for easy scope mount, but is that a form of cantilever? Also has anyone heard of anything larger than a 3" 20 ga. slug and what gun might shoot it?

thx

[font="Tahoma"]This should answer most of your questions - http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model_870/model_870_sps_superslug.asp

No sights, since it is drilled and tapped for a scope.

Drilled and tapped means the weaver rail is attached to the receiver not the barrel. So no cantilever.

Sweet looking gun!!!

I just read an article in the D&DH about 3 1/2" 20 ga. loads, but I can't remember what gun maker.
[/font]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

CB on the run

RE: New Remington SPS Superslug

Postby CB on the run » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:58 am

I have had issues with cantilevers, specifically a change in the point of impact. All my slug guns are drilled and tapped. If you press up or down on the eye end off a cantilever mounted scope, it will move. I believe with the expansion or contraction of metal due to temperature changes with a cantilever allows or contributes to a change in the point of impact because it has only one point of contact.

I also have my barrels pinned to the receiver for added accuracy. I believe the new Remington super slug comes with a pinned barrel.

Hastings Laser accurate slug comes in a 3 1/2" 20ga version and Hastings partnered with H&R to produce the Hastings field slug gun with a 3 1/2" chamber. This custom gun is currently the only production gun that this slug can be fired from. I read an acticle that it kicks like a 3 1/2" 12ga turkey load.

CB

Return to Guns and Ammo