Savage 210 slug

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
mgemmill

RE: Savage 210 slug

Postby mgemmill » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:00 am

Buckhunter 21, i have a T/C Encore and love it. I replaced the factory walnut stock with a walnut thumbhole, It has a 3X9X40 Nikon Buckmaster scope on it. I shoot 2 Pyrodex Pellets and a 250 gr Hornady with the red sabot and love the gun. Easy to shoot easy to clean and an all around nice gun. The other advantage is that u can get other barrel combos for it also. I have about a $1,000.00 in mine. I shoot it at least twice a month because I enjoy it so much. I would reccomend it to anyone. Wish I would have waited a year to get the Pro Hunter , I really like the speed breech feature. Hope this helps [:)]

JKlick

Postby JKlick » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:30 pm

A friend of mine had a savage back in the 90's and it was a great gun.  He shot a buck at 230 yards with it, I helped him drag that deer out.  We used a laser range finder and it said 235 yards.
So last year I bought one, it's a great gun.  At 100 yards in the bench rest I can get slugs to touch each other.  200 yards  I could still kill a deer with it.  Here's a pic of the target I sighted in my 210 with.  Pay no attention to the shots that didn't land in the bulls eye.  I was sighting it in on those shots.  Check out the two shots touching each other right next to the bulls eye.  Those were my last 2 shots.  I thought I had missed the target completely but upon closer inspection, there were two bullet holes touching each other.  I figured that was more than I could expect from a slug gun and left the sights as is.  The gun is chambered for 3" shells.  I use the 3" Remington Accutip Sabot's.  They're a bit expensive, but I tested all the premium sabot slugs I could get my hands on.  I tried the Federal Sabots with the Barnes Ballistic tips,  Winchester Supremes, Lightfields, Hornadys the one that really stood out was the Remington Accutips.
ImageImageImage

fr0sty

Postby fr0sty » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:00 am

Is the Savage 210 a smooth bore?  I have very good accuracy using Federal truball slugs in my benelli super nova (smooth bore).  I get good deer killing groups at 50.  I have shot it a few times a 100 yard targets, but without a scope it hit and miss.

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:22 am

The only thing I can add here is make sure of your research.

I own a bolt action slug gun. A Mossberg 695. It is a ridiculously accurate long range rig. However as others who own them may agree, it is absolutely no fun to shoot. No slug is fun to plink with but the 695 is a cold hearted b_ _ch.

Beware of the light weight if that is the case. Investigate any after market availability in terms of recoil technology, Simms,etc.

I would be surprised if it did not have a rifled tube.

Dan Schmidt

Postby Dan Schmidt » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:57 am

jj141767

The Savage is an excellent slug gun. I've shot it best with Barnes Xpander slugs from Federal. My personal favorite slug gun is the now-discontinued Marlin bolt. That gun drives tacks with Winchester Partition Gold slugs. The variance in bores makes slug matching most important.

Dan

Previous

Return to Guns and Ammo