Choosing a Rifle

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
kribbz

RE: Choosing a Rifle

Postby kribbz » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:14 am

yeah it has the accu trigger. sighted it in yesterday with some 165 grain hornady's!!!  just a couple of rounds and i was tagging the center!!!

wack

Postby wack » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:35 am

The accu trigger is nice, one of the best on the market. As far as ammo goes for the 30-06 there's almost too many choices. It would be so cool if you could buy 3-5 rounds of each kind for test groups. For my 30-06 I found that Remington bronze tip 180 grain was the flattest shooting, hardest hitting most accurate ammo I could find. That was about 20 years ago and then I had found a chart in an outdoor encyclopedia that listed points of impact , energy at certain ranges ect. from many of the major brands available at that time. (Now you can just look everything up on the internet.) I took the top performer from each brand and tried them, came up with a winner and I've never shot anything else in that gun since. Now that gun is old, that ammo is hard to find, time for a new gun and some new ammo. I'm pretty sure that old ammo would kill just about anything and I wouldn't hesitate using it on deer, black bear, hogs, even moose and grizzly. Todays ammo is a little more species specailized, you can get 30-06 made for every type of big game from antalope to grizzly bear and you wouldn't want to use either ammo on the other. A 220 grn bullet isn't going to give you the range you want for antelope and the 165 grn bullet isn't going to give you the stopping power needed for grizzly.

I haven't looked at the 30-06 ammo charts lately, but based on my old school experience, 165 grns seems a little on the light side for big hogs and deer. Last I looked, 180 was a flatter shooting, longer range bullet than a 165. Before I'd spend a lot of money on ammo I'd do some homework and look up specs on ammo and try to match the best ammo for the game you intend to hunt. Before you even shoot a round, you will know that rounds trajectory at 50 yards, 100 yards, 200 yards and 300 yards. You will know how much energy that round carries at each distance and how many inches to hold over for each distance. All you need to find out is if that ammo groups well with your gun and if it does, you set your scope up for the chosen ammo. You may set up your scope to be dead on at 200 being x inches high at 100 and 2" low at 300 or what ever you prefer. For short range hog hunting, you may set up your scope dead on at 100 or even 50 knowing that most shots will be close in and you wont loose a leg if you miss a long shot. And btw, when you hunt hogs, best have your scope ALWAYS dialed down to the lowest power, 9x on a charging pig? 9X on a deer 15-25 yards away? When you're too close to find the sweet spot because your scope is turned all the way up, that's how trophies get missed and people get hurt. You always have time to dial up for a long shot, and rarely do you have time to dial down for a close shot.

Good luck, I hope I've been of some help. 
American by birth, hunter by choice.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:43 pm

I'd say your set up now to hunt just about any type of Big Game with that 30-06...! [;)] Is it a semi-automatic or a bolt action Rifle?

You don't happen to get to utilize that nice new Big Shooting Range over in Sparta Illinois do you? [:D]

Previous

Return to Guns and Ammo