Build your own gun cabinet/safe?

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
vipertech

Build your own gun cabinet/safe?

Postby vipertech » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:38 am

I have some unused space that is a perfect location for a gun safe.  But I was thinking I could simply convert the space itself into a gun cabinet.  Does anyone have any suggestions for this?  

Everyday Hunter

RE: Build your own gun cabinet/safe?

Postby Everyday Hunter » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:23 am

Viper, look for a PM.
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:39 am

I'm following this thread, so viper if you get any good ideas or plans let me know!

wack

Postby wack » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:53 pm

I've built several real nice gun racks and gun cabinets and yet all I have at home is a 2 gun rack that my dad made backwards. lol By backwards, I mean for a right handed gun it displays the gun with the chamber to the wall. My dad is not a hunter, never owned a gun, never gave it a thought but I am left handed and do have 1 left handed gun that fits nicely in the rack. lol

I don't have pics of any of the cabinets or gun racks I've made but they are pretty easy to make. I've made rustic looking gun racks out of barn boards to fancy hard wood cabinets with glass doors lights and locks. The trick to any wood working project is to find plans that require the tools you have. My first gun rack was made with only a circular saw and drill/driver. Simple tools, rustic wood, simple plan. If you have access to Norms Yankee Wood shop or just a hatchet and hand saw, find a plan that fits your tools and abilities.

Vipertech, what did you have in mind? How handy are you and what tools do you have available? Maybe a pic of the space you want converted? Also how much do you want to spend? My father and grandfather were both wood workers, I grew up in a wood shop and was Head of Major Repairs at a very large library wood furniture manufacturer for several years. I have my own basement shop that's way too small with too many tools, wood, sawdust, mess and unfinished projects but I could probably give you some ideas if I knew more about what you're trying to do.

I attached pics of a couple wood working projects that I've done in my shop. These are boxes that each have a hidden secret drawer built into the bottoms. One big, one small box. The other pics are for another similar box that I've inlaid with purple heart and blood wood inlays that I haven't finished yet.  
American by birth, hunter by choice.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:10 am

Looks like you have a real nice talent there wack!
QDM!

Return to Guns and Ammo