Muzzleloader Ignition Systems

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
retiredsailor

Muzzleloader Ignition Systems

Postby retiredsailor » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:38 am

Just curious as to how many are using what types of ignition systems for their muzzleloader. I'm fairly certain that the 209 (shotgun primers) are the most
widely used, but I know some folks who still favor the number 11's as well as
a few who like the Musket caps. Let's see what the results show.
In your post, why not tell us a little about the type/brand/caliber gun you use, as
well as some info on the powder charge (such as size of load, black powder, black powder replacement (Pyrodex or similar), pellets, etc.). Also tell us about
the size/type bullet you prefer. If using an electronic ignition system, it would be
interesting in hearing your views on this latest entry into the world of muzzleloading.

retiredsailor

RE: Muzzleloader Ignition Systems

Postby retiredsailor » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:48 am

Guess I should have inserted my input for this poll. I hunt with an in-line CVA Stag Horn Magnum, using 209 primer. I like the Pyrodex pellets, using two 50 grain with a PowerBelt 245 grain Aerotip. Have found that this combination works great with this
particular gun.

Also have several other CVA brand muzzleloaders (non in-lines) and have replaced the small number 11 size nipples with Musket nipples for a slightly hotter ignition. Still occasionally get a misfire but with the 209 cap, have never experienced a misfire.

ghost hunter

Postby ghost hunter » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:09 am

i agree that 209 is the second best but i have used the 777 primers they reduce primer bump but i have had misfires with them in wet snow.

the electronic is by far better no bumb less recoil but some states reportedly dont now allow it

and others consider it loaded unless you pullthe battery or discharge it.

cva electra is still available but is out of production call cva

50 cal only

i agree with powerbelt bullets but intend to test the new hornaday that seals to barrel on ignition

i use american powder have tried the rest but will test hot shots someday

if you use electronic use lithium batteries in cold weather best price is homede or lowes in smoke alarms section

after owning one i bought a second for spare or for my daughter

hunts2long

Postby hunts2long » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:33 am

Up to last year I used No. 11 with my 1850 Lancaster (rep), but got an In-Line last year that uses 209, just did not get a chance to pull the trigger in the woods. I do like the way the In-Line performs so may just hang up the Lancaster but it is fun to shoot...hunts2long

retiredsailor

Postby retiredsailor » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:00 pm

Hunts2long.....Do you think you will hunt this year with the in-line? If so, good luck
and let us all know how you make out with it.

AlleganBowhunter

Postby AlleganBowhunter » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:12 pm

I have a Traditions Pursuit XL inline.  Currently (sticking with it until the end of the year) use 2 50 grain 777 pellets, 250 grain sabot.  Will be changing to powder next spring.  Haven't decided which yet, but am probably going to try the Black Horn 209.

Only have used inline front loaders.  Last was a cheaper CVA that was gifted to me.. couldn't sight the thing in to save my life.
Aim for the center of the target... the center of an aspirin is the same size as the center of a basketball. The difference is mental.

John in Michigan.

Return to Guns and Ammo