slug gun optics

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
wo57

slug gun optics

Postby wo57 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:50 am

Hi, new to forum and this question may have been discussed before but...
I have BPS in 12 gauge currently with B-square mount and a Simmons Pro Diamond 4X32 scope that I am not happy with.  I want to use this gun and a scope combo on deer and turkey.  I am looking at a Burris speed dot scope or a Leupold 1x4 scope any suggestions?

paulie

RE: slug gun optics

Postby paulie » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:32 am

You cant go wrong with the burris or the leupold! another option may be Nikon optics. Do some research, compare products (first hand), and then determine which one best suits your wants and needs!

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:13 am

A few people I know have been real happy with the TruGlow red dot scopes.  One of their models comes with a choice of dot colors and different reticle designs.  

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:57 am

I always tout 3 choices for optics, Leupold, Leupold, and then Leupold.

Their quality is incredible, their warranty is all a warranty could be, and I`ve never had a problem with one.

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:02 am

I have a Simmons 4X32 with the Pro diamond reticle. It has been on a couple slug guns and now lives on my muzzle loader.

I have been having some mixed feelings regarding it of late and some of it may have to do with my eyes getting older. In some rather hurried situations recently I have found this reticle to be more of a distraction than an aid. The diamond was intended I think to help focus your attention but lately in low light or inclement weather I find it in the way more than anything else. I do however appreciate the more ample eye relief compared to my other Simmons 1.5-5X This scope requires me to crawl it somewhat, and on my bolt action slug gun that is not something I'm keen on doing.

I have family that are on a Leupold kick of late, and they make a fine product. I am considering getting one of their 1" 3-9X and try it on my "less than cutting edge" CVA muzzle loader. If it significantly improves performance on that rig I will leave it. If not I will stick it on the bolt action and enjoy the much better optical quality and increased eye relief needed for that situation.

beagleman23

Postby beagleman23 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:30 am

If the barrel is rifled, your not going to want the speed dot as it will cover 4-5 inches at 100 yards thus reducing your potential accuracy sigificantly.  Both my slug guns carry leupold 2X7 with the heavy duplex.  I have a Nikon 2X7 on my muzzleloader and a Burris 3X9 on my 308 Rem pump.  If that's a B-Square saddle mount, I'd throw it away and have the reciever drill and tapped with a four hole Weaver style base.  If it is a rifled barrel have the gunsmith use the foremost hole to the barrel to 'pin' the barrel for a little more accuracy.  I use the 4X4 mounts on my shotguns due to recoil.  Remove the scope in the spring and throw on your aim point for turkey season.  Good luck.

Return to Guns and Ammo