20 Gauge slug guns?

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
dxthunter57

RE: 20 Gauge slug guns?

Postby dxthunter57 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:34 am

Ya you guys are right
It was suppose to be a joke
i didnt mean for you guys to take it that way
i guess it was innapropriate
but no i dont get beat up everyday at school lol

NYSupersportsman

Postby NYSupersportsman » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:16 am

Hey thanks for the appology, I shouldnt have gotten so excited about it myself! no hard feelings. I really do wish you luck this season. Post up some more pics of those big bucks!

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:01 pm

dxhunter57 - You sure had my blood pressure up ! [:D]  I was thinking that maybe you were a Troll and trying to get something going . I was ready to give the playground bully some money to kick your butt ! [8|]   [:D]   Glad you spoke up . It saved me some money ! [:-]

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:36 pm

HAHAHAH
nah guys i was jsut tryin to make a joke lol i guess it wasnt taken that way so i apologize
but ya my father has a browning gold deer hunter in a 12 gauge and it doesnt kick like the regular ones i dont think so if ur still lookin to buy a 12 gauge id try that one out
but i have never owned or shot a 16 gauge so i wouldnt be able to help u out there

legray37

Postby legray37 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:17 am

I'm a new member to this forum and also a NY hunter. Thought I would share my expierence with slug guns.

I have a Rem. 870 12 ga with a hastings slug barrell purchased 15 years ago. I experimented with different slugs when I first purchased the hastings barrell, standard winchester 3" sabots worked the best - been using them ever since: 1.5" groups at 50 yds, 2.5" groups at 100 yds.

My brother has the exact same gun and barrell and has almost identical results, except I am a better shot [;)]!!

We tried the partition gold slugs - the standard winchester sabots worked better and are cheaper.

We like the 870's - very reliable - between the 2 of us we have got 35+ yrs of service from them with 0 issues.

When my daughter turned 12, I purchased her a .243 NEF single shot rifle to hunt in Pennsylvania with me. When she became old enough to hunt deer in NY, I sent reciever back to the factory and had them put a 20 ga rifled slug barrell on it. Wow is that little gun accurate! She uses the same winchester standard sabot slugs as me. 1.5" groups at 100 yds.

We have a friend turning 50 next month, and for his birthday, we are getting him a NEF single shot 12 ga with rifled barrell. He is currently using a mossburg. He hates it.

I have read many comments in this forum about hunting with shot gun slugs.

Here is my opinion: any slug, 12 or 20 ga will kill a deer if the shot is properly placed. Accuracy is the most important factor. Practice is the most important aspect of accuracy. If you can't handle the recoil of a 12 ga, then get a 20 ga. As far as type of gun and type of slug - use what gets accurate results for you!!

The largest deer I ever saw in person was killed by a 70 yr old man hunting with an old JC Higgins single shot shotgun!

Big deer are taken by hunters, not guns and ammo!

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:49 am

I agree, calm down there NYSupersportsman. It's only words. Some don't see things the way us older ones do. You did bring up a good point about his age factor and NYS game laws. Very observant.
  Now on to the subject matter. I myself have  and do use 20 gauge only. All of mine are Ithaca's. I have my early 70's 1st pump with ventrib field barrel, a Deerslayer smoothbore with a 3x9-40 scope mounted on, and Turkey Storm with an Aimpoint mounted which has claimed turkeys out to 35 yards. Each time the Deerslayer has spoken, something is down. I farthest I have  reached out 127 yrds once. That was only cause it was the 1st buck I have had a shot at in 13 years. Most of my shots have been within 40 yrds. One time I bought used a Deerslayer 12 ga. Very acurate and I had the 20  stock reworked to be like the 12. He changed the angle under the buttplate which changed how I shouldered it for alignment. That was before the scope was put on in later years. Anyways, one time I was in one of my ladder stands 12 feet off the ground and had  a 6 point come in right under the stand. He stood between the tree and the ladder. Had to let him get out a few yards before pulling the trigger and at that point, I said what do I need a 12 ga for when the 20 would do it. The 12 went down the road.
  I feel the 20 shoots slugs kind of like a rifle cause of the smaller size of them.
There's nothing like being in the outdoors. Work is boring!

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:59 am

Hey NYSportsman,
  I see in these posts dxthunter57 has taken 2 big racked bucks in his state in one day. Everyone asked for pics of his claim but going into his posts, I don't see where any are attached or sent in. I always say "the proof is in the pudding (pics).
  Anybody esle see pics of those magnificent bucks of his?
There's nothing like being in the outdoors. Work is boring!

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

Previous

Return to Guns and Ammo