JC Higgins-Sears Model 58316 12 Gauge Bolt Action

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
Murie51

JC Higgins-Sears Model 58316 12 Gauge Bolt Action

Postby Murie51 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:47 pm

I have a question for all of you gun enthusiasts.  I have recently acquired a J.C.Higgins-Sears 12 gauge bolt action rifle, Model 58316.  Does anyone know anything about these guns and/or actually fired one?  I have read reports that there was a recall years ago for the bolt, but I have also read that many are still using it and says it a reliable gun.  Anyone have any experience with them?  Thanks!!   
"Good intensions are fraught with disappointment" - Grissom

blueeyeddragon76

RE: JC Higgins-Sears Model 58316 12 Gauge Bolt Action

Postby blueeyeddragon76 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:25 pm

I happen to have just given my son my old jchiggins 12 ga. bolt action model nu. 58316... i used it many times and never had a problem with it in the slightest! Through alot of research i found that the recall was actually not for the bolt at all, but the bolt set screw... it is on the left side of the reciever and it's only purpose is to hold the bolt in the reciever.... turns out that if you do not maintain your firearm , over time that little set screw can come loose and or fall out.... thus when someone would go to load another round the bolt would fly out the back of the receiver and smack someone in the face... first off... if you maintain and check your gun it will never have this problem... a little lock tite or gun tite on that screw and it will stay nice and tight...second of all i would not see this as that big of a deal it seems to me that it would not be any worse then getting scope faced... despite rumors to the contray, there was never a case of the bolt being blown out the back of the receiver when fired... when they are in the firing position, that is where it will stay.... they are a good reliable shotgun and i would own another one in a heartbeat.. i have so much faith in the one i had that I chose to give it to my son for his first shotgun, because i knew he would never have a problem with it.... good luck and i hope you enjoy your new ( to you) shotgun.if you have any other questions on it feel free to ask.here is a picture of him and his first shotgun... forgive his hair he needed a haircut...
ANYONE WHO TELLS YOU HUNTING IS WRONG... TELL THEM TO READ THE BIBLE:

Now then get your weapons-
Your quiver and your bow-
And go out to the open country-
to hunt some wild game for me

Genesis 27:3

Murie51

RE: JC Higgins-Sears Model 58316 12 Gauge Bolt Action

Postby Murie51 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:16 pm

Thanks allot blue.  You have been very helpful.  I am going to take it out this weekend and see how it shoots.  I did a complete inspection of the shotgun and its in great shape.  The screw that seemed to be the problem was not loose at all and I will make sure it stays that way.  Thanks again!
"Good intensions are fraught with disappointment" - Grissom

Return to Guns and Ammo