sighting in

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
SouthernDeerBoy

sighting in

Postby SouthernDeerBoy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:34 am

I use a Savage 30-06 sighted to 100 yards.  It is a tack-driver at that distance, but when I try to shoot from a bench at a target 150 or 200 yards away, it always drops more than the box of Rem Core-locts says it will.  Any suggestions?

vambo991

RE: sighting in

Postby vambo991 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:15 pm

It should still be grouping good, though. If not, then you should probably try a different brand. I would sight in  a 30-06 at 200 yards. The round isn't super-flat, but it should get you point-and-shoot accuracy out to 200 yards and beyond. Might try Federal Premium 150 grn Nosler BT or Hornady Custom 150 grn SST. There faster and flatter, but they still crush deer with a decent shot.

SouthernDeerBoy

Postby SouthernDeerBoy » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:12 am

Thanks.  I shot 7 out of 11 deer last season from under 100 yards, so I like keeping the scope set at 100.  (NC gives out unlimited extra doe tags in eastern NC, so I was not violating the law.) I plan to try the Federals you mentioned.

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:22 am

Never trust what's on the box.  There's the short answer. 

The most likely difference between the box and your own experience may be barrel length. That would influence muzzle velocity.

The best way to fix it is to buy yourself an inexpensive chronograph and see how fast the bullets are traveling. That's what I did about 7 years ago, and I never regretted the cost -- maybe 3-4 boxes of cartridges worth.  For one thing, it will tell you how variable the muzzle velocity is from round to round. That can be a huge determinant in group size beyond 100 yards. Factory ammo is much more consistent today than it was 40 years ago, but there is still a marked variation. 

However, you can back into the muzzle velocity with a free copy of PointBlank software. Enter the data from Remington's website, and then plot the  trajectory.  Now adjust that trajectory by changing the muzzle velocity until you get the drop that you are experiencing. 

VIOLA!  (Who is Viola, anyway!)

All the manufacturers are extremely optimistic with their published statistics on ammunition, and have always been so. All they are giving you is what they got out of their test barrel with their lot of test ammo.  I'm not saying they cheat, but nobody ever seems to be able to duplicate what the manufacturer claims.

I reload and I am able to control a lot more variables than someone with factory ammo.  However, even I get a lot of variability in that regard from round to round as I am working up a load.  That's one reason they tell you to keep loads under the published max as you are developing a new load.  Some of it has to due with the properties of the powder. Some of it has to do with the configuration of the brass.  Factory brass is built to conform to the inside of any SAAMI chamber-- not your chamber.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:02 am

we have shots varying from 50 yards, to 500 yards allot fo 06 used here, we all tend to sight in about and 1" to 1.5" high at 100 yards depending on the caliber, and you can still aim the same at 100 yards...But if ya want to control things more start reloading...
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

Return to Guns and Ammo