Pellets or Powder

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
AlleganBowhunter

Pellets or Powder

Postby AlleganBowhunter » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:31 pm

Looking for thoughts from everyone on whether to use pellets or power in my inline muzzle loader. For reference I have a Traditions Pursuit XL with factory scope.  I bought it about a year and a half ago.

Originally used Triple 7 pellets I had left over from my cheap inaccurate hand me down CVA (older cheap model).  I got tired of how dirty they are and bought some American Pioneer pellets.  These are square sticks rather than pellets and rub the barrel when loaded... and you end up sending burning embers out with the bullet from the residue on the barrel.  Its cleaner but I don't want nor need any sort of tracer bullet when hunting.

In order to save spending money trying numerous other powders, I turn to you for advise on what you feel is best.  Also to answer if I should skip the pellets and go to loose powder ( and then what additional equipment would be needed). 

I am open to all information so I can narrow down my decision and hopefully get sighted in before gun season.

Thanks in advance!

Happy Hunting!
Aim for the center of the target... the center of an aspirin is the same size as the center of a basketball. The difference is mental.

John in Michigan.

KYdeer88

RE: Pellets or Powder

Postby KYdeer88 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:44 am

When I went from pellets to powder it made a world of difference and I will never go back. Shooting powder gives you the chance to fine tune a load. I also think it's easier to clean up. As far as a follow up shot, with a quick load ready I can load just as fast if not faster than pellets. IMO powder burns more efficiently than pellets. All you need to shoot powder is a jug of powder "your choice of brand," I shoot 777, but there are lots of brands out there, a funnel to screw on top of the powder for pouring, a tube to measure out your grains, and that's it. I carry a few quick load tubes in the woods that I make the night before. All the extra stuff is cheap, funnel is like 3 bucks, and a measuring tube is anywhere from 3- 10 bucks. I clean my gun with warm soapy water and rubbing alcohol before applying bore butter. In all clean up takes less than 5 minutes, but I usually have a beer of three and take my time.

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:47 am

I've never tried pellets.  I always fine-tune the load and then make up pre-made cartridges of the exact load prior to hunting.  Usually 5 cartridges are more than enough for the 2 day ML season in October.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cva-50-caliber-rapid-loader-3-pk.aspx?a=434689

I use a powder measure like this to weigh out the charges from a brass flask:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/t ... px?a=56657
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

AlleganBowhunter

Postby AlleganBowhunter » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:41 pm

Thanks for the imput guys.

I am going to try the powder route.  Hopefully before season gets here I will have it figured out.

Thanks again.  Happy Hunting!
Aim for the center of the target... the center of an aspirin is the same size as the center of a basketball. The difference is mental.

John in Michigan.

Return to Guns and Ammo