What Gun/Guns and Ammo do You Deer Hunt with?

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
Dinkus

Re: What Gun/Guns and Ammo do You Deer Hunt with?

Postby Dinkus » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:55 pm

My goto gun nowdays is a Savage 10 Ultralite in 300 WSM with 165gr Nosler Accubonds, but I have shot more deer with a 270 than any other caliber. I had an old Ruger 77 that I bought in 1977 that took 22 whitetails, 2 mulies, 2 pronghorn , 1 bobcat and a turkey. That was just one rifle in 270. I have had 3.

The two rifles that I would rate as near perfect for whitetails that I have owned would be a Remington 700 Classic in 6.5X55 and a Ruger 77 Compact in 260 Rem. The only reason that I sold the Ruger was because it wasn't blue/walnut. Stainless and gray laminate just didn't look right. I will have another 6.5 of some configuration.

It is not the caliber that kills. Bullet construction and placement takes presidents above all else.

vanbachbn

Postby vanbachbn » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:47 am

I hunt in NY state the areas i hunt are either woodland or swampy.I use a marlin lever action 30/30 with hornady leverlution ammo.i like the way the small gun shoulders and swings .the ammo allows for acurate shots .most shots are way under 100yrds the average being 50 and lower.igot an older busnell low power scope on it i think its a banner 2 model.It gets the job done

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:45 pm

When I'm running the hounds I usually carry a Remington 1100 and shoot Winchester SuperX 00 Buckshot. If I'm sitting in a tree, tower blind, or ground blind, my go to rifle is a T/C Encore .308 shooting Winchester 150 grain powerpoints, I do have one particular tower blind where I'll sometimes use a Winchester .300WSM and Winchester 165 grain ballistic tip ammo for some 250-300 yard shot opportunities.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

1-GTOHunter

Postby 1-GTOHunter » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:46 pm

It's been a while since I've checked in here at D&DH.....nice to see more Members listing the Cool Guns,Rifles and Shotguns they Hunt with and the Stories that go along with it!

Previous

Return to Guns and Ammo