What Gun/Guns and Ammo do You Deer Hunt with?

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
GTOHunter

RE: What Gun/Guns and Ammo do You Deer Hunt with?

Postby GTOHunter » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:00 pm

Forgot to mention I went Deer Hunting this past Nov in 2009,used a Browning Medallion A-bolt Hunter in a .270 WSM,had several nice Bucks around my stand that first saturday morning of Rifle Deer Season.I did a little rattling and grunting and a young 4-Point Buck came in and sniffed my Tinks scent wick,then a decent 8-Point Buck was about 125 yards in front of me down a logging road making a scrape and he crossed the road and headed thru the woods (too far with tree limbs in the way for a shot),a few minutes later a nice big 9-Point Buck came in from behind my stand and cut down hill about 45 yards to my left,when he got even with my stand I put the cross-hairs on him as he stepped out past a big oak tree and I shot him broadside.He ran about 75 yards and crashed into the limbs of a fallen oak tree and it sounded like the tree had fallen for the second time! [;)] I waited about 30 minutes and had another 6-Point Buck sneak up behind my stand (couldn't shoot him...I just filled my Buck Tag) and he finally walk off into the thick woods on the hill/ridge top to the right of my stand...I got out of my stand and retrieved my 9-Pointer! [:D]

jtowery

Postby jtowery » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:01 am

You are talking about a WW II BAR?

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:45 pm

Hey jtowery......I'm talking about the new style caliber thats been out for a few years now,a WSM (Winchester Short Mag).They make them in several different calibers,mine is in the .270 which has a bigger brass case with more powder for shooting further and flatter.The bad thing about the WSM shells is they are hard to find at a local Dealer and they can be a lot higher in price,some times almost twice the price as a regular .270 caliber bullet.

osceolaslayer

Postby osceolaslayer » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:42 am

Stalking, Winchester 94 30/30, Leverrevolution
Stand, Remington 700 .300 win mag, fusion
Blind with solid rest, Stag .308, corbon or custom (400 yds easy)
T/C Pro .50, Triple 7, Hornady
Remington 870 Rifled Slug Gun w/Thumbhole, Lightfields

If you don't want to spend your life saving and explaining to your wife or girlfriends like I did why they were eating venison, ducks, squirrels, bass, etc for dinner every night while I spend thousands on guns and bows, buy the Remington 710 or a Savage package in .300 win mag, it'll do everything and only cost you $400. They are remarkably accurate for the money, but the triggers always suck, you've got to get very used to alot of creep. On top of that, you can go with the T/C and get the diff barrels for it, saves alot, but I hate not having followup shots, even though I can count the times (other than stalking) I've sent follow ups downrange in 20 years on both hands.

Again, just my opinion.
OSCEOLA SLAYER
DEERFEAR.COM

MountainCatt

Postby MountainCatt » Mon May 03, 2010 1:22 pm

Grew up in Texas hunting with grandpa's old Winchester Model 94 in .30-30. I also had a Remington bolt action in .243, and I once used my dad's Weatherby .308.  That was many years ago.
Fast forward to here and now... I just put a Tikka T3 Lite in .270 WIN with a Leupold 4-12x40 on layaway. Can't wait to take her out to the range and see how she shoots!
Preliminary thoughts are basic 130gr Core-Lokt for deer (so long as the gun likes them, otherwise I'll look at Federal and Winchester soft points).  If I ever get a chance to go after elk I'll move up to a 150gr premium load (Nosler partition or Barnes tiple-shock or the like).

MountainCatt

Postby MountainCatt » Thu May 13, 2010 3:52 pm

Picked up the Tikka on Monday. Had 30 minutes to spare so I stopped at the range on the way home. Only fired three rounds, more just to see if the scope was still reasonably zeroed from the previous owner. 100 yards off the bench using a duffel bag as a rest.
Keep in mind I have not fired a rifle in over 15 years...

Very, very nice shooting rifle. I can't say enough about how good the action and trigger feels!

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Fri May 14, 2010 6:27 am

I hunt with a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in .308 with a Leupold 2.5x8x36 on top that has taken a lot of deer.  I also got a matching .30-'06 with the same scope because I got a good deal on it. I shoot Winchester 150 gr. BTSP because the rifles seems to group it best and it puts the lights out on a deer in a hurry.

Muzzleloader, I use a T/C Black Diamond .50 cal with 90 grains of Pyrodex RS behind it.  Same scope as the bolt actions.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

metrx

Postby metrx » Fri May 14, 2010 11:03 am

-Remington 700 S/S Synthetic in 30-06, 150 gr. Rem. Corelokt PSP
-Remington 870 Express in 12 ga.- Lightfield slugs
-CVA bolt action Muzzleloader- 50 cal., 100 gr. pyrodex pellets

In NY some areas are rifle counties other are shotgun only.   

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Fri May 14, 2010 4:33 pm

Wow......thats a sweet looking .270 MountainCatt,with a little more target practicing You'll have it shooting tighter groups in that center in no time! [;)]

I really like my Caldwell Leadsled,You can get a Rifle sighted in really well with a lot less recoil and then shoot it free-handed on a regular rest to see how well You can actually shoot a gun yourself.You guys are giving me the fever to buy me that Savage 7mm-08 bolt-action I've been wanting! [&:] [;)]

KYdeer88

Postby KYdeer88 » Tue May 25, 2010 4:04 pm

1. Winn model70 30-06 with rem core lok 150gr bullet and a leuopold 3x9.
2. Marlin 30-30 with winn 150gr bullets and a Nikon 3x9- my woods gun.
3. T/C omega with open sights and a 295gr powerbelt and 90gr of loose 777.

PreviousNext

Return to Guns and Ammo