What Gun/Guns and Ammo do You Deer Hunt with?

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
tigerryder20

RE: What Gun/Guns and Ammo do You Deer Hunt with?

Postby tigerryder20 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:18 am

In the woods I use a Browning BLR (1977 model) in the 358 win caliber.  It is awsome. [:D] I don't know how many deer I have taken with this rifle as I only knotch the stock when I take a trophy 8 point or better, right now I have 14 knotches on the stock.  The biggest I have taken is a 160 BC 10 point taken years ago.

For open places with long shots possible I use the Browning A-Bolt in the 270 WSM.  I have taken two deer with the 270, one at 185 yards standing still and the other walking at 368 yards measured with a laser range finder.[:)] Both were DWS! 

I use handloaded 200 grain spire point Hornady bullets in the 358 and handloaded 150 grain Nosler Partitions in the 270 WSM.

Both of these rifles are good at what they do where they do it.

I have bought my daughter[sm=kiss.gif] a CVA Optima Elite Scout rifle in the 7-MM 08.  She will hunt with it for the first time this coming fall.[sm=rolleyes.gif]

Wolfman

Postby Wolfman » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:09 pm

ORIGINAL: GTOHunter

I was raised hunting Deer with a 30-06 Remington Automatic Rifle with/180 grain Core-Lokt bullets and after several years of fighting with recoil I went to a Browning A-Bolt .243 rifle w/100 grain Hornady shells and have been using the same Rifle for the past 3 years with great results and 2 nice 8-Point Bucks on my wall.

What Guns are you Guys and Gals using and why have you choosen that peticular set up?

[font="Courier New"]I use a Browning 30-06 auto & Marlin .35 lever for deer hunting. The Browning has a 3X9 scope for more open hunting. But when I'm in heavy wood/brush I use the Marlin with open sights as a scope can take longer to acquire a moving buck at close range.

I also use a 12 gauge Browning auto when slugs are required & a 12 gauge Hi-Standard pump for Upland game. The Browning is full choke, the Hi-Standard is modified.

I also have lever & pump .22s which I use on tree rats & ground hogs. They're not really hogs though.[/font]
[:D]
IF YOU'RE NOT PART OF THE SOLUTION, THEN YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:48 am

I do most of my hunting in heavy timber. Don't know how many shots I missed taking, because of heavy shrubs and trees.

Then I got this new baby, & I can take any shot I want & don't have to worry about shrubs, trees or even abandoned cars getting in the way.

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:31 pm

Mightyfofaad,
That's awesome!!!Image

Brush Gun = 45-70 Handi Rifle
Open Fields = 270 win Marlin
Slugs = Mossberg 12ga Slug Gun
ML = CVA .50, 100 gr 777, 255 gr Barnes sabot

bobow

Postby bobow » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:38 pm

I do most of my hunting in heavy timber. Don't know how many shots I missed taking, because of heavy shrubs and trees.

Then I got this new baby, & I can take any shot I want & don't have to worry about shrubs, trees or even abandoned cars getting in the way.

[font="verdana"][size="1"]Now that's efficiency in action!  Clear away obstacles, take down your quarry and field dress all with one pull of the trigger.[/size][/font]  [:D]
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Wolfman

Postby Wolfman » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:56 pm

ORIGINAL: mightyfofaad

[font="Arial"]Does that 30 mm ammo come in a Nosler Ballistic Tip or a Barnes TSX?[/font] [;)]
IF YOU'RE NOT PART OF THE SOLUTION, THEN YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

cullbuck

Postby cullbuck » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:36 pm

ORIGINAL: Wolfman

[font="Arial"]Does that 30 mm ammo come in a Nosler Ballistic Tip or a Barnes TSX?[/font] [;)]

I don't really think it matters much.

Remington 700 LSS Mountain Rifle in .270
Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker with BOSS in 7mm-08
Benelli Super Black Eagle with 3.5" 00 Buckshot

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:40 am

LOLOL Mightyfofaad do you have to trailer that pea-shooter everywhere you go????

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:17 pm

I'm new to muzzle loaders ... can you guys tell me if I'm using too much black powder?

blueeyeddragon76

Postby blueeyeddragon76 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:35 pm

I'm new to muzzle loaders ... can you guys tell me if I'm using too much black powder?

too much??too much??? heck no.. if anything i think you aren't using enough!!!! double up on the amount you are using!LOL[:D]
ANYONE WHO TELLS YOU HUNTING IS WRONG... TELL THEM TO READ THE BIBLE:

Now then get your weapons-
Your quiver and your bow-
And go out to the open country-
to hunt some wild game for me

Genesis 27:3

PreviousNext

Return to Guns and Ammo