What Gun/Guns and Ammo do You Deer Hunt with?

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
FFKEVIN

RE: What Gun/Guns and Ammo do You Deer Hunt with?

Postby FFKEVIN » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:59 am

We are only allowed to use shotguns or muzzle loaders in Ohio.  So, I shoot a Remington 870 - 12 gauge with Hornady SST slugs or a Thompson Omega 50 cal. with a Nikon Omega Scope.  I use the T/C Super Glide Shockwave Sabots & Triple Seven Pellets.  I can't believe how accurate it is, especially for a muzzle loader.
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

fowler

Postby fowler » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:28 pm

I have shot lots of deer with a 30/06, but I find that a 7mm short mag is the best for shots over 400 to 600 in open country. the muzzle speed at 300 yards is over 3000 feet per sec. It is also a good short range round, total knock down power for the big boys. 
killing big bucks the right way.

federali

Postby federali » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:04 am

Although I have more rifles than I need. I hunt most often with a Remington Model 7, stainless synthetic, in cal. 7mm-08. This year I may hunt with a vintage Savage 99, in cal. .300 Savage.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:06 pm

federali my wife just bought me a Savage model 99 in .300 savage, guess I hounded her long enough for one, boy is that a sweet shooting gun hopfully I will kill a deer this year with it.. I killed my first rifle deer with a model 99 in 300 savage. Whats nice about that gun is it has plenty of power for deer and even bigger game with not a lot of recoil.. Read a story once of a guy who killed a charging polar bear with the model 99 .300 savage...

federali

Postby federali » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:07 am

Schlupis--This is the third Savage 99 I've owned, having had a .308 and a .243. My current Savage was made in 1947 and I could not see the internal abuse it suffered when I bought it used last year. My gunsmith restored the internals to sound condition. While there has been all sorts of development of ultra fat, ultra short and ultra this or that cartridges, I think it's fun and rewarding to hunt with a vintage cartridge. The .300 Savage is more than enough medicine for eastern whitetails.

Incidentally, Savage fans should visit ebay or Amazon and pick up a copy of the book, "Shots at Whitetails," by the late Larry Koller. Written in the 1950s, the info is dated but enjoyable to read. My reason for recommending it is that Larry hunted with a Savage 99 in cal. .250 Savage. He never once complained about needing more gun.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:49 am

Sounds like a good read will look for the book thanks.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:30 pm

I ended up buying me an older used Remington bolt-action 30-06 rifle from a close friend so I'm going to try the Managed Recoil shells from them.They are in the 125 grain and I can't wait to see how well they will work?

I did notice that the box had the forewarning about using them is some automatic Rifles: 
*May not operate all recoil or gas operated firearms.

I was wondering if anyone else here has used them and what their thoughts and comments were on the new shells?Thanks GTOHunter 

federali

Postby federali » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:51 pm

The past few seasons my primary rifle has been the Remington Model 7, stainless synthetic in 7mm-08 as it combines close range handiness with long range reach if needed. As I'd love to take buck with a vintage rifle/cartridge, this year I'll hunt with a 1947 vintage Savage 99 in .300 Savage.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:54 pm

Hey Federali....what kind of recoil do you have with the 7mm-08 and how does it compare with say with a .243 Bolt Action Rifle?I was thinking about getting one for my next Rifle.

richtaber

Postby richtaber » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:31 am

The number of guns and rounds that you can hunt with are innumerable.  However, I have a soft spot for the .308.  It does fine on deer, and having a military background, I spent a lot of time with M-14's and the venerable 7.62mm cartridge.  Nostalgia aside, the 308 is one of the most popular cartridges in America.  I enjoy using a Browning lever 308 with a Leupold vari-x II scope; this is a pretty good all around big game cartridge for the northeast.  I also use a Winchester 94 in 30-30.  Partially for reasons of nostalgia, I grew up in Connecticut shooting on the Winchester ranges in New Haven in smallbore programs.  That notwithstanding, the 30-30 is not as good a round as the 308, but with the new Federal Leverevolution ammo it is a better cartridge than it used to be.  I have mine topped with a Lyman iron sight, (another harkening back to my Connecticut days).  At any rate, a hunter's marksmanship ability with his or her rifle is much more important than the specific caliber.     

PreviousNext

Return to Guns and Ammo