What Gun/Guns and Ammo do You Deer Hunt with?

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
GracieJitsu

RE: What Gun/Guns and Ammo do You Deer Hunt with?

Postby GracieJitsu » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:02 am

Hey, thanks mightyfofaad!

I wish I started hunting earlier in my life; I'm 36-years-old now. However, I can't change the past, so I will enjoy every minute of it now.

Before the season started, I did a lot of research and tried to educate myself as much as possible on deer hunting. To be honest, I'm enjoying the process as much as, if not more than, the result.
It's not the years in your life, it's the life in your years.

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:08 am

ORIGINAL: GracieJitsu

Hey, thanks mightyfofaad!

I wish I started hunting earlier in my life; I'm 36-years-old now. However, I can't change the past, so I will enjoy every minute of it now.

Before the season started, I did a lot of research and tried to educate myself as much as possible on deer hunting. To be honest, I'm enjoying the process as much as, if not more than, the result.

You have an interesting handle (GracieJitsu) I'm sure many of us would like to know how you came up with that handle. We have a forum post called FORUM HANDLE you might want to go there & share your handle origins with the other 140+ members who posted there. [:)]

GracieJitsu

Postby GracieJitsu » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:18 pm

That's a good point, mighty! I'll take your advice and post in the Forum Handle section.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:52 pm

Looks like several of you have got some really nice looking guns to hunt with...sorry I haven't been in lately to keep up on what everyone is Shooting/Hunting with but I will be off for vacation so I'll make up for lost time! [&:]  [;)]

Welcome to D & DH GracieJitsu....and I'm going to have to run over to the Post about how you chose your Nick Name to see what you wrote! [:D] [;)]

Faedrus

Postby Faedrus » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:20 pm

I hunt with a Tikka T3 synthetic stainless in .270 Win. I did some research while I was shopping around for this, my first gun. The Tikka comes highly recommended. Only Chuck Hawks had bad words for it based upon production short cuts.
I shoot a 130 gr Federal Premium Barnes bullet. It's an all copper hollow point. Exit wounds are large enough to pass a golf ball through.
I shot a large doe this year on Nov 11 (ironic?). My first deer ever. I don't come from a hunting family so I got into hunting with some friends at the age of 36.
I will visit the handle forum and explain my handle.
thanks for the tip!

marshhunter

Postby marshhunter » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:56 am

When I hunt up north (WI) I use my Tikka M595 in 7mm-08 left handed version. At home where I have been hunting most of the time, Its a Browning BPS 12 gauge with a rifled barrel. I am looking for a dedicated slug gun in 20 gauge. Just need to decide which one.

NC Deer Hunter

Postby NC Deer Hunter » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:16 am

Remington model 700, 7 MM STW Stainless Steel, fluted bull barrel. Used to hunt long range but not anymore, one heavy mo-fo to be carring around the woods.

retiredsailor

Postby retiredsailor » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:36 am

Really enjoy reading the posts on this rather long-running forum. I noticed an earlier post wherein the writer stated that he had regrets over having traded a gun some years ago. Got me to thinking and I realized that I have owned guns (a wide variety of types, gauges, calibers, manufacturers, etc.) for some 50 years and I have never sold or traded a gun. No, I do not consider myself a "gun collector"; as I shoot and hunt with many of my guns. Just never had a gun I wanted to get rid of, other than occasionally passing one along to one of my boys.
The past 10 or 12 years, I nearly always deer hunt with my old standby Remington model 760 (pump) in 30.06. And sometimes use a NEF single-shot, also in 30.06, but I enjoy shooting my other guns as well.
Over the years, I have given my sons (both now adults and avid hunters themselves) a few guns, but the thought of trading or selling any of my guns has never crossed my mind. Now I have a couple of young grandsons to whom I intend to bequeath some of my firearms, but that's down the road a ways - I hope.

New subject: Although I have never owned a .243, my one son just recently purchased an NEF, single shot, with an extra 20 guage barrel. He intends to use the .243 for deer hunting. Not being familiar with that particular caliber, I was a little unsure about its stopping ability. However, I see from a number of posts on this forum, that a good number of folks are big fans of the .243. I agree with other posters that shot placement is the key to success.

Thanks for all the interesting items on this, and other forums.

PS: You have to keep in mind that I live in Virginia, hunt in West Virginia and right now I've been cooped up for a while due to record amounts of snow and this forum is the next best thing to being out there.

tcicon

Postby tcicon » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:17 pm

T/C ICON CLASSIC 270 WIN. Rem. Core-Lokt 130 gr. PSP

wseested

Postby wseested » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:42 am

I definitely agree with the choice to switch to .243... it's really a great round and doesn't get the credit it deserves. I have a Ruger M77 Hawkeye Sporter in .243 with a Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40mm and I love it. For areas where I can't use rifle, I have a Remington 870 Express 12 gauge with a rifled, cantilever barrel. I would love to put another Nikon scope on that one someday too. The next hunting rifle will be a Remington 700 SPS in .308 with a Nikon scope.

PreviousNext

Return to Guns and Ammo