Having orange on in the stand?

Does your state have a deer regulation that defies common sense?
Powell1120

RE: Having orange on in the stand?

Postby Powell1120 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:40 pm

Below are the requirements here in Iowa. The requirement for the blind orange was just put into place with in the last couple years. I think blaze orange is a must for the gun seasons, if it helps keep people safe why not? Thats not meant to express that I think that the government should regulate this or that, just my opinion.

Blaze Orange Required
To hunt deer with a firearm in any season you
must wear one of the following articles of external,
visible, solid blaze orange clothing: vest, jacket, coat,
sweatshirt, sweater, shirt or coveralls. An orange hat
alone is not sufficient. No person shall use a blind for
hunting deer during the regular shotgun deer seasons
unless such blind exhibits a solid blaze orange marking
visible in all directions with a minimum height of
12 inches and a minimum width of 12 inches.

deojee1414

Postby deojee1414 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:00 pm

A few statistics to peruse.

A New York study found that 94 percent of hunters involved in mistaken for game accidents were not wearing hunter orange. This is statistic is even more startling when you consider that 81 percent of New York hunters do wear hunter orange.

North Dakota had 80 deer hunting fatalities between 1953-1980 (28 years). In 1981 they started requiring blaze orange apparel and since then have had 17 fatalities (28 years).

WI average 47 shooting incidents per 100,000 hunters from 1949-1979. Since 1980 when blaze orange was required for deer hunting the average through 2007 was 16. Now this includes all seasons and all game, but I dont think it's a coincidence that the average dropped so much after blaze orange started being required for gun deer season.

it should also be noted that in the 1980's many states started requiring hunter safety courses for new hunters.

I live and hunt in WI so blaze orange is required, but even if i traveled to a state that didnt require it, i would absolutely still wear it.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:29 pm

I live and hunt in WI so blaze orange is required, but even if i traveled to a state that didnt require it, i would absolutely still wear it
[quote]ORIGINAL: deojee1414

I could not agree more. Don't leave home without them.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

zos41

Postby zos41 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:34 am

Yep and we all know that deer climb trees to get away from hunters. how can anyone thing a hunter 15 feetr off the ground is a deer. Maybe a bear if the two seasons run concurently

Only a true idiot would mistake anyone in a tree stand 15 feed up for a deer.

bigdaddygb

Postby bigdaddygb » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:15 pm

the only way to reply to this is
DEER FEVER.. [&o]  even the orange doesn't help sometimes. People make blind judgments and shoot at anything that moves. I had on my blaze orange from the waist up including my hat. Had a kid rabbit hunting shoot at me twice because he saw something moving behind his party in the woods. all i can say is duck and cover. first shot riddled the trees above me.. second shot did too... I hit the ground and hollard "STOP SHOOTING AT ME OR I'M SHOOTING BACK!!!" his whole party was yelling at this young kid for making his bad judgement call like they should.
Ianother time my buddy from arkansas came back up to NJ to live and we went pheasant hunting. he was on one sid of hedge row and i was on another. somehow he fell behind me and my son. I had my son stop back about 40 yards as I went to end of hedge row to meet friend I heard BIRD.. BOOM... Boom riddle....and a thump in the hand. My buddy at the last second saw my orange and pulled up off birds flying through the hedge row. The thump in my hand was one of the pellets he shot piercing my skin.

Orange just gives you a second chance but only if the person on the other end of the gun aiming at you has a brain and thinks before shooting.[8|]

bigdaddygb

Postby bigdaddygb » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:17 pm

ZOS if your a hunter in a stand up high and down a hill you see movement it doesn't matter if that hunter is 10ft or 20 ft off the ground it looks like he is on the ground from your perspective. I have had buddies tell me they thought i was sitting at the base of a tree in my 21ft high stand. That's because they were above my stand higher up the hill.

piebal

Postby piebal » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:43 pm

In connecticut we can take are orange of if we are bowhunting during the gun season as long if we are in an elevated stand

still hunter

Postby still hunter » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:22 pm

Always wear orange during rifle season. No questions asked. Safety First. Enjoy the day second. Harvest a deer third. Peace.

Ifishandhunt

Postby Ifishandhunt » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:36 pm

My motto: Hunt hard, hunt safe, hunt smart, and come home alive!

There are too many careless idiots out there so I'd rather be covered in blaze orange head to toe and give myself a fighting chance instead of being shot at BUT...

I am here to say that if somebody else doesn't hunt smart or ethical, it won't matter if you have orange on, they may accidentally shoot at you or in your direction.  I have been shot at accidentally by an old man who shot UP HILL over a ridge/hill. On the other side of that ridge was me in a tree in his direct line of fire. He had no business shooting at a deer (he missed it) on top of the hill that he could not see over or beyond. He was not aware of what was beyond his target  I actually heard the bullet zing over my head as it ripped through the tree tops. I was wearing orange head to toe. Thank God I was not walking back to my truck because the path of the bullet was also my walking path to my truck.

The guy was kicked off the property for good!

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:14 pm

People do the smartest things when they see a deer, you can't prevent that. The more Orange the better. Out of those stats I wonder how many incidents were the result of the half cock safety's. Ex. 30-30's I know a few people with missing toes.

PreviousNext

Return to Dumb deer laws