Having orange on in the stand?

Does your state have a deer regulation that defies common sense?
bobow

Re: Having orange on in the stand?

Postby bobow » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:53 am

kellory wrote:Even my ground blind wears orange! My blind came with a camo orange cap that slides over the top and bungees in place in seconds. Thus hunters see by blind with me inside, and deer do not. No brainer.

In the last few years I have tied on a couple of vests to the exterior of the blind. IMO, it doesn't do any good to wear it where no one can see you.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:04 am

No one can see my permit either, but it is required I have it, and written permission on someone else"s land. Just because it can"t be seen, does not negate the requirement. Besides, If you did not have it with you, and you decide to stalk, or retreive a deer, You are at a much higher risk.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

frank8871

Postby frank8871 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:28 pm

I agree with you guys 100% actually what i was kinda getting at is maybe the dnr should make it to where you have to put orange on a blind.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:40 pm

We have enough laws. How about letting common sense and proper caution as a guideline, and let's avoid the ranks of the Darwin Awards.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

bobow

Postby bobow » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:22 pm

kellory wrote:No one can see my permit either, but it is required I have it, and written permission on someone else"s land. Just because it can"t be seen, does not negate the requirement. Besides, If you did not have it with you, and you decide to stalk, or retreive a deer, You are at a much higher risk.

Yes mother. And I'll be sure to put on clean underwear in case I get in an accident.

No where did I say I don't wear it in the blind. I just said I put some on the blind and I said that no one can see me wearing it while I am in the blind. And I damn sure don't go walking around without wearing it during the firearm season.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:40 pm

Shaggy, piebald, and frank mentioned not needing or not wanting orange on in a stand or blind. Why do you think I was talking to you? You are smart enough to know to mark your blind! I think it's is a little silly inside an enclosed blind as well, but it is required on the hunter, not the blind. I would not mind the rule being modified for full blinds, but not for spur blinds, no, leave it on the hunter.(the thing not to be shot!)

frank8871

Postby frank8871 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:52 pm

didn't say its not needed or wanted, just that it wouldn't be seen from outside, hence my previous post. the way some laws are worded or the lack of a law entirely can leave SOME people open to what they want it to be. heres an example of Illinois law, "the hunter must wear a cap and upper outer garment of at least 400 sq. inches of blaze orange" ,now i've heard people say they feel that could mean a 20in.x20in. square pinned to their back. safe hell no, legal ????

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:30 pm

If that is the requirement, then the size is accuarate. It could also be 400 1 inch squares pinned all over your coat like leaves or a diecut pattern. A lot of hunting coats have a pullout orange sheet over thier backs, and that would be about the right size. Indiana does not allow camo orange or field coats or vest with orange panels. It must be solid orange. Ohio says camo orange is just fine, and my whole coat is camo orange. so is my hat. I don't use just the minumum, but does it make sense that it is required on the hunter INSIDE a camo full blind? It SHOULD be required when the hunter is exposed, but not when concealed. I believe indiana requires that it be a solid vest or coat but not a hat. You got to remember, most hunting laws are written by non-hunters, guided by whoever yells the loudest, and whoever has the most money to denate for thier reelections, Most hunters arn't that vocal unless thier rights are threatened, or the rules are too grevious. I would like to see a hunting liesence that could be used in any state. It is not like I could be useing the resources of more than one state at a time. But they will NEVER figure that one out.

frank8871

Postby frank8871 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:42 pm

heck yeah i would love one license for any state, being i live very close to the missouri border

kellory

Re: RE: Having orange on in the stand?

Postby kellory » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:45 am

zos41 wrote:Yep and we all know that deer climb trees to get away from hunters. how can anyone thing a hunter 15 feetr off the ground is a deer. Maybe a bear if the two seasons run concurently

Only a true idiot would mistake anyone in a tree stand 15 feed up for a deer.
( I would like this for my avitar, but have not figured out how yet.) :lol:
Attachments
deertree2[1].jpg
deertree2[1].jpg (23.31 KiB) Viewed 839 times

PreviousNext

Return to Dumb deer laws