Piebalds

Does your state have a deer regulation that defies common sense?
RNC

Piebalds

Postby RNC » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:50 am

In Wisconsin it is legal to shoot a piebald but not to possess a piebald hide. A friend of ours shot a piebald a couple of seasons ago and wanted to get the hide tanned with the hair still on it. from the top of the deer to mid chest the hide was brown the entire length of the body while from mid chest down it was white. He had to get special approval from the DNR before he could keep it. 

Legnip

RE: Piebalds

Postby Legnip » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:03 am

I personally don't understand why restrictions exist for albino deer or any type of animal? I think the thought behind it is that they are at a dis-advantage to the other deer. Some could make the arguement for a giant non-typical with drop tines. He is at a genetic dis-advantage because he is going to get harvested ASAP.

I'm surprised that the WI DNR made the aception. They can be very uptight with the regulations. You always hear about the guy who got his trophy opening weekend. He has it hung by the basketball hoop, the DNR stops to check and register it on the spot for him. He forgot to punch the time or AM/PM, then bang he gets a big fat fine and his deer confiscated. Urban legend... Who knows...
From those who much is given, much is expected

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:01 pm

You can now shoot albinos here in Michigan. I never saw one while hunting... But I remember when I was little I was riding my bike around our cottage in Greenbush and I saw a doe albino. It really was a site to see! I will never forget it. I guess there where a few in the area at that time because other people had seem them as well. That had to be at least 15 years ago.. kinda makes me feel old.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:42 pm

Strictly speaking albinos are not something that should be encouraged in the deer population.  It is not a desireable trait for a wild animal, unless, of course, they can fly.   

zos41

Postby zos41 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:23 am

However a white deer is not the same thing as an albino deer. Parts of NY have white whitetail deer, but an true albino deer would be very rare in the wild. Most if not all white wild whitetails are not true albinos, only white in color which is a recesive gen

Return to Dumb deer laws