Can't use a rifle in mass for deer

Does your state have a deer regulation that defies common sense?
BerkHunter

Can't use a rifle in mass for deer

Postby BerkHunter » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:38 am

In mass we cant use a rifle to hunt deer, we also arent allowed break open muzzleloaders.  Still dont understand the break open muzzleloader law, is the break open action a gun like the TC Encore or the TC Omega?  They have similar but different ways they break open.

ranwin33

RE: Can't use a rifle in mass for deer

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:26 am

Given the range of modern muzzle loaders and shotguns, it just doesn't make much sense to me when states don't allow the use of rifles to shoot deer. 
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

heightman

Postby heightman » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:46 am

T/C Omega is legal in Ma. as you need a tool to open the breach. I believe the Encore needs no tool to open the breach. But that still does not explain why you can't use it. It is true that we can not use a rifle to hunt deer but my T/C Omega is a 50cal. Blackpowder rifle? Law needs to be more specific as to just what they consider a rifle. And another law that makes no sense at all non residents with a valid hunting license do not need a firearms permit to carry a gun. Why do they get that privelage? While state residents need to go to a class to get a permit and then another class [hunter safety] in order to hunt in their own state.
One note on my last comment I work at Walmart [try not to tell many people I work there] But I sold a hunting license to a Deputy Sheirff the other day and he told me that you do NOT need a gun permit to hunt here in Ma. I believe he gave me the wrong information

heightman

Postby heightman » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:51 am

OPP'S should have mentioned that the hunter safety course is a course that everyone should take. It not only teaches the basic safety measures it also covers the laws. I took mine way back in 1982.

paulie

Postby paulie » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:23 am

I "assume" the reason they dont allow the break action muzzleloaders is, that they have interchangable barrels. In other words, a TC encore 50 cal muzzleloader can be converted to a centerfire rifle (of many diff calibers) in a matter of seconds. I'm not saying I agree with that thought process but, that may well be why you cant use em!

zos41

Postby zos41 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:57 am

I believe that Mass now defines a shotgun as one that uses paper or plastic as a case and may have a brass base. Anotherwords by the shell which made rifled shotguns (slug guns) legal in Mass.

years ago Mass defined a shotgun as smoothbore I believe and rifled slug guns were not legal.

zos41

Postby zos41 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:58 am

I know that at one time a Mass resident need a gun permit to purchase a Mass hunting license.

piebal

Postby piebal » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:36 pm

i believe that mass law makers are dopes..let us use any caliber rifle for coyotes during daylight hours and for bear.In the berkshires deffinately should allow the use of a rifle

krawiech

Postby krawiech » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:22 am

thank the kennedys for the dumb items in mass they and their friends did all they can to abolish all types of firearms when they were in power you might want to check with the nra about using or carrying a firearm in mass years ago i believe that you legally could not transport a firearm in your vehicle thru masshank k

woodsalta

Postby woodsalta » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:47 am

I know that Mass doesn't allow the T/C Encore due to their ability to switch out barrels quickly. You could hunt with the centerfire barrel and then switch it over to the muzzleloader barrel and check in a deer. It is strange that you can't hunt with a rifle for deer, but you can hunt with ANY caliber rifle for coyotes, during the daylight hunting hours, and with a .22 during the night until midnight.
A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject.

Next

Return to Dumb deer laws