Allowing rifles in certain counties of NY

Does your state have a deer regulation that defies common sense?
nysboss

Allowing rifles in certain counties of NY

Postby nysboss » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:45 am

I can't understand where the state thinks that certain counties should be allowed to use rifles. Where I live, Madison county, I don't believe we should be able to use them. It scares the hell out of me to think someone could be shooting a rifle in my back yard. Granted I do see where there are certain areas that would be suitable for such weaponry, but not everywhere. There are too many highly populated areas here in this county and many others that allow them. Unfortunately, not everyone has the sense to make a common sense decision on where to use a rifle or any gun for that matter. -Kevin

CB on the run

RE: Allowing rifles in certain counties of NY

Postby CB on the run » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:11 am

Change is often dificult for some to accept. I personally heard seasoned hunter tell me they were quiting hunting when NY changed it's opener to a Saturday from the traditional Monday opener because the woods would run red with hunter's blood. The same with the change to rifles. To my knowledge there has been one death in four seasons(in my area) where a hunter shot another(not himself) and he mistook his friend for a deer so it wasn't attributed to the rifle per se. Studies have shown the lighter weight rifle bullets often deflect to the ground quicker than heavy shotgun slugs when missing the intended target. I believe the presception that makes many believe that rifles are inherently more dangerous than shotguns comes from the ability of a rifle bullet to travel extreme distances versus the 'rainbow trajectory' of a slug. This distance has to be uninterupted as mentioned above which is unlikely in most situations. The average harvest distance in NY is still under 100 yards as far as I understand. Additionally, most hunters use bolt action rifles which slow down repeated shots vs pump and semi auto shotguns so theorically the number of follow up shots on running deer where hunters maybe not consentrating on the background should be reduced.

CB

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:40 am

Your concern might have more merit for me if you could provide data that indicated hunting with rifles was inherently or significantly more dangerous than hunting with today's modern slug guns and muzzle loaders. 
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:39 am

I'm not suggesting that rifles are inheritently more dangerous the shotguns or muzzleloaders. I stated that I believe the is a perception issue by some folks who believe that they are going to be stuck and killed by a hunters bullet several miles away. I do think this incorrect. I firmly believe that rifles are no more dangerous than shotguns or muzzleloaders under normal deer hunting conditions. Part of this is based on two fairly recent articles(not sure which mags as I get 6 and also trade with 2 friends) one of which was titled something about the best caliber for 'brushbusting' and the second dealt with bullet weight. The other part is my own assumption in reviewing the hunting accidents posted for the counties in southern NY where rifles were allowed for the last 4 seasons and being in the woods opening day and rarely hearing the 5 shot semi-auto blitz that use to be common.
I believe New York should look at opening additional areas to rifle hunting.

CB

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:54 am

ORIGINAL: CB on the run

....I believe New York should look at opening additional areas to rifle hunting.

CB

I'm not certain of this, but I think one difficulty they have in New York is the fact that each county or jurisdiction makes the call. That's why it's designated on a county-by-county basis. For example, in fairly flat Chautauqua County, rifles are prohibited, and in fairly mountainous Cattaraugus County right next door, rifles are permitted. However, the area of Chautauqua that borders Cattaraugus is mountainous and sparsely populated, but rifles are not permitted.

Exceptions exist. In mountainous Allegany State Park in Cattaraugus County, rifles are prohibited. Why, if they're permitted in the rest of Catt County? Because Catt County officials let State Park officials make the call. So, it becomes a patchwork of regulations that is subject more to political jurisdiction than to state decision making.

So, I think it's up to county officials, but it seems to me that it would be better and easier to regulate it by WMUs.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:54 am

Well NYboss I couldn't agree more....We are shotgun here at the house and rifle at camp and thank heavens for that....Camp is lrg expanse of woods and steep hills and valleys...there are few homes except in the valley and they own a good part of the hills the rest is private  hunting ground like us....and even with that there has been a few shootings and at least one death since they opened the rifles....Here at home we are issued the highest amount of doe tags and are over run with hunters....I ...my daughter and three neighbors have been nearly shot during our shot gun only season....Now that's just the ones I know of..... and the idea that a longer range bullet from a rifle could be used is ludicrous to me....in such a heavily populated area...We have a serious problem with horizon shooters and ppl that just don't look beyond the animal...living on the side of a hill with ppl above and below all that hunt...is ...well scary....

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:27 am

My son has property in Italy Valley in Yates County ( between Potter and Naples) . It is a Rifle area . I don't hunt there during gun season . When you step off the East side of my son's property , you are on about 1800 acres of State Public hunting land . Too many weekend warriors there .
Semper Fi !

Squash

Postby Squash » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:41 am

Another reason most of NY needs some kind off Antler restriction, to make brown it's down hunters look before they drop the hammer.

zos41

Postby zos41 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:52 am

Seems like most of you are bringing up excellant reasons for requiring blaze orange during the firearm seasons for deer. They is no way someone wearing orange can be mistaken for a deer. That being said I do not normally wear orange when hunting on my own land as the only other hunter is my wife and we always know where the other is hunting

Return to Dumb deer laws