Pilot Antler Restriction Project

Does your state have a deer regulation that defies common sense?
ranwin33

RE: Pilot Antler Restriction Project

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:39 am

ORIGINAL: twotone3

I once again am posting on this subject since I have now had to let several bucks walk away from me this season due to the stupid restrictions here in Missouri.  I am one for letting the deer grow but I shouldn't have to if I don't want to.  If they are going to impose such rules it should be state wide and not in certain counties.  Plus here in Missouri we have a telecheck system where you check in your deer by phone or internet which makes it possible for anyone to cheat the system.  I witnessed a person on the neighboring property shoot a 6 pointer I let walk due to the antler restriction and when I said something he stated that he didn't care about the law.  I have heard several of the local good olé boys in the area say the same thing.  I tried calling the conservation agent but by the time they got there the deer was gone.  So you tell me how the law works.

The law works because law abiding people will follow it. 

I believe that would be the majority of hunters, not all but the majority.  I consider myself a good example of why the law works.  Prior to antler restrictions I would shoot most anything, antler restrictions made me reconsider what I was doing.  Having had them in place now for the last 4-5 years (I can't remember) I would not change a thing.  We are seeing more deer, bigger deer, and healthier deer.  Sure we have roadhunters, poachers, and people who don't follow the law, sure, some people will cheat the system, just as they do with the telecheck, but MOST won't and that is why it works.

Missouri expanded APR's this year to additional counties, and I could see in a few more years the entire state being that way except for some of the southern counties.  Surveys indicate most Missouri hunters approve of them where they have been in place.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

paulie

Postby paulie » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:34 am

One guy shot a spike at a long distance, thinking it was a doe. He called the MDC officer and explained. The officer accepted the explination and wrote him a tag for it.
      That wouldnt fly here! it is the responsibility of the hunter to "know his(or her) target"! If your not sure what your shootin at, dont shoot!

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:58 am

ORIGINAL: paulie

One guy shot a spike at a long distance, thinking it was a doe. He called the MDC officer and explained. The officer accepted the explination and wrote him a tag for it.
      That wouldnt fly here! it is the responsibility of the hunter to "know his(or her) target"! If your not sure what your shootin at, dont shoot!

I agree. My explanation of the event was not intended to be in defense of the shooter. I should note that the Missouri APR does allow for the shooting of bucks with spikes less than 3", but that was not the case here.

paulie

Postby paulie » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:10 am

Where I hunt in southern Michigan, we dont have antler restictions. I really wouldnt be too upset to see them implemented though. I've passed up five young bucks this year(something I would not have done in the past), not because I had to, but because I chose to! The majority of the buck harvest in this state are 1 1/2 yr olds (some 70 or 80%). In 21 years of hunting, I've killed one 3 1/2 year old buck, and have seen only a hand full more (that I had no shot at). My point is, we just dont have a lot of older bucks because, the young ones get hammered every year! Like I said, if they put in place some antler restictions here, I wouldnt mind, because it would at least keep the "honest" people from killing so damn many young bucks! Two of the bucks I let walk were "good" bucks (young but nice), one six, and an eight, both only 1 1/2 yr's old. At least with a four point rule one of them would be protected, because I know for a fact, that the other guys that hunt these properties, would have shot any of the bucks I let go (fortunatly they never saw any of them). And I "mis'spoke" earlier, your can buy a combo license, which consists of two tags, that can be used for either, archery or firearm season(your choice), one of those tags ("restricted") is only valid for a buck with at least four points on one side. But the other("regular") is for any buck with antlers three inches or longer. If used for archery, they are valid for "either sex". Firearm, buck only! So I guess we do have "some type of antler restriction", but it does not protect all the small bucks!

paulie

Postby paulie » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:14 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

I agree. My explanation of the event was not intended to be in defense of the shooter. I should note that the Missouri APR does allow for the shooting of bucks with spikes less than 3", but that was not the case here.
   No, I understand, I wasnt implying that you "condoned" such behavior. I was just sayin, the co's here would have a different outlook on it. 

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:07 am

I was just sayin, the co's here would have a different outlook on it.

Maybe that's why we have such a problem with poachers. [;)]

speakerboxx

Postby speakerboxx » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:51 am

Your fortunate you don't have to drive to your hunting area. My roundtrip is 300 miles or so.
ORIGINAL: ranwin33

I feel your pain. I live in VA Beach and hunt with family in Ritchie County West Virginia 950-1000 mile round trip plus out of state license fees....Worth it to spend time with family though 

glennsjr

Postby glennsjr » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:12 am

I hunt both 3h &3k in N.Y. and think the antler restriction is a good thing.For the last 10 to 12 years i wouldn't shoot anything smaller than a 8 pointer Every year I was lucky enough to fill my tag but now I get to pass on smaller bucks because I know a slammer will show up and so far I haven't been let down.

jsjandro

Postby jsjandro » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:13 am

the attitude of "i wanna shoot whatever and no one should tell me i cant" works great for the people that dont care about the herd truely, and if u truely care about the deer herd and its longevity, ars are the way to go unless people were all educated enough to shoot based on age body characteristics. its not about wrecking YOUR hunt as much as it is straightening out the herd and balancing it - which makes it a better hunt for all involved. its not about having more deer, its about making the herd more visible during daylight so they can be seen and appreciated by even those on unprime lands.  only he who selectively harvests has seen the true potential of a hunt- holding life in your hand and letting it go is something that every hunter deserves the chance to feel - and every hunter that does it becomes hooked on it...

only if we had antler point restrictions...:(

try not to become a man of success, but a man of value.

jsjandro

Postby jsjandro » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:33 am

ranwin33, i agree with you - well said. i have law enforcement experience and morons exist everywhere, and laws only work on good people and that is IT! for all you with poaching problems - dont give up, those bastards are getting away with it because they are confident they can. in time you will prove them wrong and when u do, it'll feel awesome.  ive been a land owner for 3 years now living on my land and i got a crew of ding-dongs that are driving me nuts.  i haven't got another law job since relocation and the deputies here haven't been all too helpful but i know these old punks days' are numbered.

never give up, never back down, always yell louder, and always shoot first.  your in control, not them.
only if we had antler point restrictions...:(

try not to become a man of success, but a man of value.

Previous

Return to Dumb deer laws