Pilot Antler Restriction Project

Does your state have a deer regulation that defies common sense?
JPH

RE: Pilot Antler Restriction Project

Postby JPH » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:49 am

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

I'd say changes are in store for us.

I hope so! I hunt Iowa and Missouri and the difference in night and day. I believe a late firearms season has a majoor impact on the quality of the herd.

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:50 am

Hi Robert, what part of NW Missouri you in.  Our farm is in Harrison County. 

I'm in Harrison Co. as well.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:47 am

I'm fully in favor of antler restrictions.  We have them in my part of Missouri and I am convinced they play a part in the more and bigger deer we are seeing.  It appears to have been successful as more counties will be operating with the restrictions this season.  At first I was unhappy when it happened since we had not seen any bucks that would have been considered legal and I figured we'd have nothing to shoot.  But after the first year, things have definately improved.  I'd like to think some of our land management practices also help, but I know the antler restrictions play the biggest part.  As an example the 14 hunters on 140 acres to our south took just a two bucks and a doe this year on their property.  In past years most of them would have taken an immature buck. 

Not everyone believes shooting an immature buck is a sin. Not everyone believes it`s critical to see "more, and bigger deer....."

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:02 am

Where at?  I can't help but wonder if you're not the guy about half a mile away from our place, your property sounds very similar.  We're about 10 miles north of Cainsville.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:10 am

ORIGINAL: hunter480
Not everyone believes shooting an immature buck is a sin. Not everyone believes it`s critical to see "more, and bigger deer....."

I know that, but I enjoy it so I support the restrictions, and I didn't say it was a sin. 

Given the choice between a spike and a 10 point buck I'd much rather see the 10 point buck, doesn't matter if I'm going to shoot it or not, they're just more fun for me to look at.  Maybe not you. 

And since the restrictions may be playing a part in our seeing more deer, I support that.  I much rather go into the woods with some certainty of seeing a deer than going into the woods figuring I won't see anything at all.  And when I see a lot of deer, it makes it easier not to shoot the small ones.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:15 am

ORIGINAL: JPH
I hope so! I hunt Iowa and Missouri and the difference in night and day. I believe a late firearms season has a majoor impact on the quality of the herd.

What kind of impact do you think the late firearms season will have as opposed to our current second saturday of November start date.  I'm thinking if it starts the week of Thanksgiving or even the one before, we might see better quality deer simply because the best bucks will have been allowed to breed as opposed to being shot before they had a chance.  But would be interested in your thoughts as well.

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:21 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

What kind of impact do you think the late firearms season will have as opposed to our current second saturday of November start date.  I'm thinking if it starts the week of Thanksgiving or even the one before, we might see better quality deer simply because the best bucks will have been allowed to breed as opposed to being shot before they had a chance.  But would be interested in your thoughts as well.

I think the biggest benifit in a later gun season is the increased survival rate for yearling and 2.5 yr. old bucks. The current Mo. season allows firearms hunting while these deer are most vulnerable. They can't help but move and they take a real pounding, even with the 4pt. rule. I think the key to seeing mature deer is protecting them long enough to get there.

As for my property location, we may be in a very small world. Send me a PM.

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:13 pm

Hi ranwin33,
 I am in Andrew county, North of St. Joseph. I hunt the 102 river bottoms and some hill ground. It is pretty good, but I don't think it is as good as Harrison county for holding large deer. There is too much open ground and pressure to grow very many deer past a few years. It is rare to see a truly mature buck here.
I grew up South of Chillicothe, and the hunting there is much better, I just don't want to drive 100 miles to hunt anymore.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:41 am

Hi Robert,

I know you're area well. I grew up about 25 miles west of St. Joe on the Kansas side of the river.  St. Joe was the "big city" we would visit about once a month.  Some of the guys I went to school with are now running outfitting services over in Doniphon and Brown counties on the Kansas side.  I don't get back much to that area, other than for visiting with family on holidays.

Your fortunate you don't have to drive to your hunting area.  My roundtrip is 300 miles or so.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:44 am

PM Sent.

I've noticed when we take our deer in for processing there always seems to be a buck that doesn't meet the 4 point requirement.  Any idea if there is a penalty for breaking that rule.  I'm just curious as no one seems to take notice at the processing place.  Even when the young ladies are out front working for the MDC aging deer.

PreviousNext

Return to Dumb deer laws