Pilot Antler Restriction Project

Does your state have a deer regulation that defies common sense?
ranwin33

RE: Pilot Antler Restriction Project

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:58 am

ORIGINAL: hunter480
Understand that not everyone is in your situation-not everyone could shoot a doe every night. SOME hunt hard all archery, AND firearms, AND muzzleloader season, and might be lucky to punch ONE tag.

It isn`t all about you..........

I completely agree with you which is why I would never harshly judge someone who takes the first deer they have an opportunity to ethically shoot.  It is certainly what I was doing when I first started deer hunting and prior to antler restrictions.

Before the antler restrictions went into place, our deer sightings were not that frequent either.  I don't know if the change in sightings was caused by the antler restrictions, the work we've done on the property, or we're just better hunters, but yes we are fortunate and given the number of deer we have it is easier to practice the QDM stuff. 

All I can say is after my initial negative reaction to the antler restrictions, I'm now glad they're in place.

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:29 am

msbadger made a good point.. it does make people have to stop and look at what they are shooting at. in PA rifle season used to be 2 weeks of buck and doe. so any hunter just shot at anything that moved. i never had a close call, but man... there were shots all day long from everywhere. when PA introduced the antler restrictions I think it made the woods a safer place because people actually had to stop and take a look at what they are shooting at. also, i know that juniors (12-16) can shoot any buck and i think, but im not positive that seniors also do not have any restrictions. so it has made it better for everyone. bigger bucks are being shot every year. at first i was against it, but it sure has paid off

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:34 am

our local gander mountain has a bragging board. people bring pictures up of their trophies and its nice to see people getting the big bucks.. even little kids are getting huge bucks.. a lot better than my first buck.. a little 7 point with maybe an 8 inch spread

SyracuseBowhunter

Postby SyracuseBowhunter » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:19 pm

I am all for antler restrictions statewide in NY.  It might be better to go to a system where the main beam had to extend past the ears...that would be easier to see than counting points and would let the 1 1/2 year old basket rack 8 pointers live.  I hear what a lot of you are saying, but in reality, in NY we have the opportunity to take 4 deer. 1 with a bow (either sex), a buck on our regular license, an extra antlerless permit, and 1 deer (either sex) with a muzzleloader.  That is plenty of opportunity to get meat without shooting small bucks.  Also, there is a lot more meat on a 3 1/2 year old 10 pointer than a 95 pound yearling with 3" spikes.  I would support a rule that exempts those under 17 and senior citizens over 65 from the antler restrictions.  Those over 65 have paid their dues (and especially taxes in NYS!) and should be exempt.
"All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:39 pm

Possibly then, the term needs to be changed from "deer hunting", to "qdm acceptable, antler restriction approved, politically correct, white-tail hunting".

[8|]

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:47 am

Possibly then, the term needs to be changed from "deer hunting", to "qdm acceptable, antler restriction approved, politically correct, white-tail hunting".

[8|]
Without the management of the herd, there would be no herd to hunt. Every young buck  shot just takes away from the chances someone will shoot the deer of a lifetime.  
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:24 am

This thread is typical of the kind of discussions that create confusion and resistance to QDM.

Antler restrictions and QDM are NOT one and the same! QDM is not about the production of trophy bucks. QDM is education, habatat management and a more meaningful hunting experience.

We can debate the merits or APRs all we want, but we should not consider this to be a referendum on QDM. Even the QDMA (which I am no longer a member of) does not universally support APRs.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:49 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

This thread is typical of the kind of discussions that create confusion and resistance to QDM.

Antler restrictions and QDM are NOT one and the same! QDM is not about the production of trophy bucks. QDM is education, habatat management and a more meaningful hunting experience.

We can debate the merits or APRs all we want, but we should not consider this to be a referendum on QDM. Even the QDMA (which I am no longer a member of) does not universally support APRs.

JPH-

I`m dumbfounded. You`ve left QDMA? I know you`ve been as staunch a supporter of that organization, and what they promote, as anyone I`ve ever known of.

And I`ve learned a lot from you in these D&DH threads about QDM and what they promote. I think it`s been a very common misconception that QDM was about trophy racks, and you`ve done a great job here, of dispelling that myth.

I`m just blown away that you`re not involved with QDMA anymore.

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:03 am

JPH-

I`m dumbfounded. You`ve left QDMA?...

Yeah, don't read too much into it. I was never active beyond paying my dues, reading the magazine, and posting on the message board.

I began to feel that the movers and shakers in the orginization only related to wealthy owners of large tracts of land (that's not me). I also felt the trophy aspect was overstated. 

I did not really "leave" the QDMA. I just let my membership quietly expire. I still think they are a positive force in deer hunting, but they do not represent me well enough to earn my money.

I think the biggest message is that one can pratice QDM with or without the QDMA. The idea, the ethic and the conservation are all bigger than any club. 

I am honored that you would consider me to be a strong advocate for QDM. I'd like to think I can continue to be so, simply by the force of my words and by my example. In my opinion, THAT is how ethics grow. 

SyracuseBowhunter

Postby SyracuseBowhunter » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:32 am

Yeah, don't read too much into it. I was never active beyond paying my dues, reading the magazine, and posting on the message board.

I began to feel that the movers and shakers in the orginization only related to wealthy owners of large tracts of land (that's not me). I also felt the trophy aspect was overstated.

I did not really "leave" the QDMA. I just let my membership quietly expire. I still think they are a positive force in deer hunting, but they do not represent me well enough to earn my money.

I think the biggest message is that one can pratice QDM with or without the QDMA. The idea, the ethic and the conservation are all bigger than any club.

I am honored that you would consider me to be a strong advocate for QDM. I'd like to think I can continue to be so, simply by the force of my words and by my example. In my opinion, THAT is how ethics grow.
ORIGINAL: JPH

JPH-

I`m dumbfounded. You`ve left QDMA?...

It is funny that you say that JPH, because I did the same thing with QDMA.  I even served as treasurer of the local branch for a couple of years, but felt the same way you did...that the "movers and shakers" of the organization were only catering to wealth landowners who owned more than 200 acres of land.  That's not me either.  I do believe in the tenets of the organization though and practice QDM principles and managing for better habitat for wildlife on my property.

And as far as Hunter 480's comment about "politically correct whitetail hunting", it isn't that at all.  It is about sound herd management practices that don't leave the buck to doe ration at 1:10.  It would help the herd a lot going into the winter because it would not stretch the rut out so long...1 1/2 year old bucks would not be servicing so many does and the buck population would go into winter in better health.  That sounds like wise stewardship of our natural resources to me.  Besides, not many polititians in Albany enjoy deer hunting, especially those from New York City.
"All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

PreviousNext

Return to Dumb deer laws