would far prefer a call-in tagging system

Does your state have a deer regulation that defies common sense?
JPH

RE: would far prefer a call-in tagging system

Postby JPH » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:07 am

Iowa has gone to telecheck and it is an improvement over what they had, which were voluntary, mail-in surveys.

Missouri went to telecheck and it is a downgrade from what they had, which were mandatory check stations.

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:46 am

PA has voluntary mail in system and it sucks... They can not possibly regulate antler restrictions or deer kill in a given season using this method..

Used to hunt in NH and they use check stations...much better idea, wish they used them in PA...If you get a nice deer it gives you a little extra satisfaction that other hunters will see it..

it lets those in the area know that there were deer actually killed that day or around your area and it keeps the hopes up of those that didn't get one

it gives hunters a little closer bond

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:53 am

I have lived in wisconsin my whole life, i didnt even know other places do a call in system of checking in deer. I can imagine that peopel would be way more apt to just not call, and so harvest numbers must be way off in some of those areas. even still, it is still just as easy to not check in a deer here in wisconsin where you are supposed to go check it in. but i can see people, even if they intend to call a deer in, just forgetting or getting lazy and not doing it, where as around here in wisconsin, i think a lot of people enjoy the experience of going down to the local registration station and checking in, just as some of you have said. i think what gets people registering around here is earn a buck. in some areas, like where i am, we have to shoot a doe and register it before we can get our buck tag. I bet we haven't had a single hunter miss registering his doe since that started. once earn a buck started, i had to stop leaving my does hang in the tree in the yard over night, like we have always done in late in the season, because guys will steal your deer out of your yard. but thats another issue.

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:59 am

that is a good idea...but what about states that have more hunters than doe tags?????

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:06 am

I like the call in system... In wisconsin you still have to register your deer at a check station and most check stations are gas stations with some high school or college kid who doesnt even come out and look at the deer..I have filled out my card and just been handed a tag over the counter and told to put it around the antler or in the ear, the deer wasnt even looked at..Only once in 16 years have I seen a warden at one of the check stations.... I am for the call in system because the people who would violate with the call in system are already doing it with the reg station.

RNC

Postby RNC » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:29 am

Wow Schlupis I am suprised at how lazy the folks at your reg station are. Were we hunt in WIS it is a gas station for the reg station and they have never even let us touch the metal reg tag before they themselves put it on the deer. Cant say I have ever seen a CO at the reg station but I have had them check deer to make sure they have the carcass and/or reg tags on them while they were hanging at the cabin. Your probably right on the folks who would abuse the phone in system are already abusing the current system. With that said I would still be in favor of the reg stations because it may prevent the boarderline dishonest folks from flat out cheatting the system.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:56 am

Good subject.

I prefer the telecheck in Missouri - either by phone or computer.  Makes it very convenient and doesn't cause us to have to spend a lot of time waiting in a line to check the deer.  So if we want we can get back out into the field more quickly. 

As for making it easier for poachers, I don't know.  I suppose if someone is willing to poach a deer, then how they have to check it in isn't going to make much difference. 

I figure if I'm going to run around with a deer in the back of my truck or hanging outside our barn I better have a tag on it, just in case that 1 in a million chance happens and our game warden shows up.  As for poachers, they probably take their chances so check stations or telecheck doesn't matter.

I think the theory is that by making it easier more people will actually report what they've shot.  Like the person who does his own processing, if all he has to do is call it in, then why not.  If he has to drag his deer to some check station, then back home to begin butchering, then maybe he won't check the deer. 

For those of us who don't butcher our own deer, they do check the tags at the meat processing facility.

brentru

Postby brentru » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:04 am

No such requirement in KS.  Kill it, tag it, drag it home or to the processor.  Unless changed since last year, CO doesn't have a check station or call in requirement either.

HauntedWinter

Postby HauntedWinter » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:30 pm

I currently live in NC and we have the call in system. People use it but I know far more deer are killed than what is recorded. I am from New Jersey and back then, they had check in stations which I believe they still do use. I would greatly welcome that here. Like the others have said. Talking to other hunters and hearing their stories on how they got their buck. It was great back then..

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:52 pm

In SD we have a voluntary mail in system that is pretty much worthless.

Im unfamiliar with both the telecheck and check stations.  A couple have stated that people just wont call in with the tele system. Cant people do the same with the check station? Just never go to one??

Just curious as SD needs something else in place.

PreviousNext

Return to Dumb deer laws