would far prefer a call-in tagging system

Does your state have a deer regulation that defies common sense?
howhill1

RE: would far prefer a call-in tagging system

Postby howhill1 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:35 am

here in il our kill numbers have been on the decline. id be willing to bet that these declines coincide with the loss of check stations. my big beef with it is that i dont feel that the info obtained is very accurate.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:28 am

ORIGINAL: howhill1

here in il our kill numbers have been on the decline. id be willing to bet that these declines coincide with the loss of check stations. my big beef with it is that i dont feel that the info obtained is very accurate.

As far as # of deer or maturity/age info of each deer?
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:59 am

I cant imagine that having to check-in a deer is going to stop poachers or the guys who shoot something and then say it wasn't good enough to use a tag on.
The things lost with eliminting check-in stations is the gathering of hunters and all the good conversations. Here in Missouri they changed to phone or computer check-in because it was costing too much money to have all the manned stations. It seems to be working well and I am all for saving taxpayer dollars. Let the cost of all the tags go to something besides paying for check-in stations.

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:31 am

age and sex
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:35 am

our check stations were manned by volunteers. when you used to check in a deer the age and sex were recorded and you recieved a hat pin. now you call an automated systemd that doesnt always work and anyone can go get a pin at the local wal-mart. i agree that thosewho poach are going to do so regardless but i think theres alot of guys who just care if they're deer gets checked in or not anymore.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:11 am

call me old fashioned, but i like the the check-in stations.  not only can you drive in with your deer to show the other hunters and throw a few stories around, but i think it keeps people honest.  call in to check in your deer?  give me a break!  some hunters will forget, and some will just not do it....which means our harvest numbers will be off.  i live and hunt in wi, and we do it the good old fashioned way and i hope we never change!

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:46 am

ORIGINAL: buckhunter21

call me old fashioned, but i like the the check-in stations.  not only can you drive in with your deer to show the other hunters and throw a few stories around, but i think it keeps people honest.  call in to check in your deer?  give me a break!  some hunters will forget, and some will just not do it....which means our harvest numbers will be off.  i live and hunt in wi, and we do it the good old fashioned way and i hope we never change!

I agree we still do it the old fashion way here in Ohio,  I hope it remains that way.  Great place to talk to other hunters, show off your deer and hear all the great stories that go along with them. 

Most of our check stations are small gas stations and bait stores, in these tough economic times, I'm sure they'll appreciate all the extra business that deer season will bring.  Everyone gathered around out in the parking lot is drinking a pop and eatin something the bought at the gas station, even the people who don't have deer to check in are muchin on something.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:24 am

I hunt in Kentucky, where there is a Telecheck system.  There is a lot of good to it, though I do miss the old check-in stations.  The biggest bonus has been the website that gives you actual harvest info.  The idea is that if you see a good buck taken by someone, and it does not show up in the Telecheck website within a few days, you can call the tip line and have the poacher nicked. 

Telecheck Review

Are there cheats?  Of course.  However, there were cheats in the old system. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:12 am

I like that, how you can pick a county and a date and see who checked in what.  Excellent way to catch folks not tagging in deer, plus see when the most deer are getting harvested in your area.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

johnk123

Postby johnk123 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:43 am

here in louisiana we just went to the tag system. and you have to validate your tag within 72 hrs. great idea. keeps honest people honest.

PreviousNext

Return to Dumb deer laws