would far prefer a call-in tagging system

Does your state have a deer regulation that defies common sense?
hunter480

RE: would far prefer a call-in tagging system

Postby hunter480 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:42 pm

ORIGINAL: shaman

I hunt in Kentucky, where there is a Telecheck system.  There is a lot of good to it, though I do miss the old check-in stations.  The biggest bonus has been the website that gives you actual harvest info.  The idea is that if you see a good buck taken by someone, and it does not show up in the Telecheck website within a few days, you can call the tip line and have the poacher nicked. 

Telecheck Review

Are there cheats?  Of course.  However, there were cheats in the old system. 

Pretty "iffy" to me.... IF you see a good buck taken, IF you check the system.....

I don`t see how that pressures anyone to check a deer in.

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:47 pm

"Hi registration station #68430.  I'm Gafrage a hunter in an EAB zone in WI.  I shot 3 antlerless deer tonight.  Can you please mail me 3 Buck Authorization stickers."

That's the problem.  Especially in WI.  People would lie, to obtain tags.  Why would people lie unless it benefits them?  If I don't call in my deer, and nobody calls it in, especially hunting in the big woods, I can continue to hunt.  I understand, people probably still do this, but doing this call in thing, makes it even more sketchy.  Unless people in WI start getting Buck Authorization stickers for kill geese, I don't see the point.  I'm sure there are enough morons trying to "reuse" deer in WI to get their tags the way it is.  Prove it.  Sure, some numbers might get lost in the mail, but that won't screw up the count like a call-in system would.

In a perfect world, with hunters like you and me, and quite frankly, between the two of us, I'm not so sure about you.  It's pointless.  Not worth it, and unless they actually see the deer, the number will be wrong.

edit:  OMG, I might have actually agreed with Hunter480 on something!  Someone, use a Cuddeback!  Save this for later.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:28 am

There will always be people who try to cheat the system, but they will likely try to cheat whatever system is in place.

I really appreciate the call-in system we have in Missouri.  It is convenient, probably more accurate then the old check in system because it is convenient and people use it, and it saves me time which means I have more opportunity to hunt.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:36 am

As was stated earlier, NY has the call-in system.  We also now have it on-line.  This past weekend I used the on-line option.  Very simple. 

The call-in system is pretty funny though.  The automated voice is not very good.  Imagine somebody recording several words independently and then these words are later stuck together to form a sentence.  None of the fluctuation of the words are in context with each other making it sounds like some weird robot voice. 

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:40 pm

ORIGINAL: Gafrage

"Hi registration station #68430.  I'm Gafrage a hunter in an EAB zone in WI.  I shot 3 antlerless deer tonight.  Can you please mail me 3 Buck Authorization stickers."

That's the problem.  Especially in WI.  People would lie, to obtain tags.  Why would people lie unless it benefits them?  If I don't call in my deer, and nobody calls it in, especially hunting in the big woods, I can continue to hunt.  I understand, people probably still do this, but doing this call in thing, makes it even more sketchy.  Unless people in WI start getting Buck Authorization stickers for kill geese, I don't see the point.  I'm sure there are enough morons trying to "reuse" deer in WI to get their tags the way it is.  Prove it.  Sure, some numbers might get lost in the mail, but that won't screw up the count like a call-in system would.

In a perfect world, with hunters like you and me, and quite frankly, between the two of us, I'm not so sure about you.  It's pointless.  Not worth it, and unless they actually see the deer, the number will be wrong.

edit:  OMG, I might have actually agreed with Hunter480 on something!  Someone, use a Cuddeback!  Save this for later.

I agree 200%.  I'm a WI deer hunter and I like going in and registering your deer.  Keeps people honest for one, and for two you get to exchange stories, meet other hunters, etc.  I know things change, but this doesn't have to!

mndeerslayer

Postby mndeerslayer » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:18 am

i hunt in minnesota we have to register our deer at check stations i have been hunting for 18 years and its allways been that way !
MNDEERSLAYER ///// FLAGGED FOR INTRUSION

hansonca

Postby hansonca » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:06 pm

The issue of calling in is that you don't get the proof that you would get at the check station. So I would have to say I'm against calling in because I don't think people would even bother if there isn't going to be any proof any way. Also what if you call in and the line is busy, would you even bother calling again?

timm151

Postby timm151 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:47 am

I am an avid hunter in Missouri. I do miss the check stations. Kind of bragging rights to the ones who got the monster. But now it is not hurry out of the field to try and find a check station before they close. You just have to Telecheck or Computer Check the deer in before 11PM on the day of harvest.

Here in Missouri we have a deer herd of over 1million deer. my gut feeling is MDC expects a certain amount of poaching to happen. Sort of like don't tell, don't ask.

But I know of at least one hutner who got caught doing a no-no. He shot his deer, went to Wal-Mart and bought his tag, Then went to the parking lot and teleched it in. The computers showed he only took 10 mins from the time he bought the tag to calling one in that he harveste. BUSTED.

upatreestand75

Postby upatreestand75 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:42 am

Oklahoma just passed the internet check this year.  I've been to a few check stations and the numbers are way down there.  Unfortunately I thinkthere is too many people who won't be honest about it.  We finally went down to a 2 buck minimum and that was great.  Last year more mature deer were taken here.  I think we have taken a step back by doing this.  That 2 buck min could now turn into whatever someone wants it too.  I think it's a huge setback for QDM!  Our check stations are always volunteer so money was not the issue.  I would love to hear from someone on the enforcement side.  What do they think about it?  In the past they have always stopped occasionally at the stations.  People knew that and it helped keep them honest.  Whats keeping them now?

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:15 am

We've got it in Missouri and I wouldn't go back. 

I took a doe the evening of 10/1 - and checked it via the internet later that evening.  I was then back up early the next morning and hunting again without any pressure to stop and get the doe to a check station.  It works.

Honest people will continue to be honest, those that are not honest aren't going to be deterred by having to go to a check station. 
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

PreviousNext

Return to Dumb deer laws