Found Deer Skulls

Does your state have a deer regulation that defies common sense?
All Talk

Found Deer Skulls

Postby All Talk » Tue May 17, 2011 3:04 pm

In the state of Missouri in order to posses a deer skull with antlers attached you must report the find within 24hours. I have a few skulls I have found over the years, nothing big. Well I was going to put them up at my cabin for decorations since they have been just sitting in my garage. Father-in-law said you better call the conservation department and make sure you can display them, he thinks you need a sheet of paper to be in the legal. So I contact them to do the right thing. Conservation agent calls me back, says she wants to meet with me and to bring the skulls. She needs to decide if she is going to take them away and/or issue me a fine. A FINE? I am going to possibly get a fine for picking something up in the woods. Not happy. Trying to do the right thing and this is how they treat you.
Just because you hunt does not make you a hunter.

Ohio farms

Re: Found Deer Skulls

Postby Ohio farms » Wed May 18, 2011 5:25 am

I'd imagine that the law was enacted to prosecute poachers. It should be obvious to her that you didn't poach it since you called her about it, rather than them finding it while investigating something. If they do fine you, I would bill your father-in law. Good luck. Let us know how this turns out for you.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

All Talk

Postby All Talk » Wed May 18, 2011 7:28 am

I do understand why they do it. Guy is stopped in possesion of a skull of a deer he poached, has no tag that goes with the skull, uh, um, I found it. Ok well I guess that is ok please go on. Most poachers will not call in and say they found it so I get it. I think 24 hrs is a little silly. I should have done it before now. I will let you know what happens. I am supposed to talk to her next week when I am up at my hunting cabin and she is going to meet me there.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed May 18, 2011 4:00 pm

Yea, I think you will be ok. They make take the skull though. Sometimes good guys get caught up in laws made to get the bad guys. Common sense and discretion should be the savior here.

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Thu May 19, 2011 6:14 am

I see the reasons why they would make you get proof but I have been to numerous auctions and sales that sell them without proper tags, so where does the line get drawn? Pa, ny, and Ohio some horns sell for big money. I know pa you must display a tag if it is antlers on a skull but if its a shed antler your fine....

All Talk

Postby All Talk » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:03 pm

Just an update. The officer that was supposed to meet with me could never make time. So I found another officer who took down the info and mailed me dispositions for my skulls. So no tickets for this guy.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:32 am

Good for you. Glad to hear that everybody used good judgement with your situation.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:17 am

Always save your unused old tags and when you find something you are just going to hang on a wall somewhere, throw a tag on it.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Ky Bob

Postby Ky Bob » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:05 pm

We have the same law in Kentucky and like you I have found a few over the years. I think it's a good law but if you find a skull and rack in Spring/Summer I would not bother calling the local CO just to get a caucus tag.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:10 pm

Glad that you didnt get a fine. That's a little crazy that they would give you one for that..But happy that it all worked out for you. Im not sure what the law is on that here in Michigan, Ill have to do a little research now!
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Return to Dumb deer laws