I need some advice

MSHunter

I need some advice

Postby MSHunter » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:19 pm

I've asked for advice on archery here before with good results. I don't have any reason to  believe this will be any different. I've got my bow, I've got my release and now I've got my arrows and field points for practice. What I don't have is a target. I'll be shooting outside in the backyard (I don't have a basement). What target(s) do you suggest for practice?

I know I will get several varying opinions, but that's ok. All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Woody

RE: I need some advice

Postby Woody » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:30 pm

Not sure if your lookin for 3d type targets or block style. Either way there are alot of different choices. I personaly shoot into the Block 4x4. It has been a great target. I have tried cheaper ones in the past (wont mention any brands) but IMO the block is worth the money. The block is nice and portable to take along and shoot a few shots before I head into the woods. I can also take it in and out of my garage in between sessions to avoid weather and people lookin for a good deal on a target.
I will stop now and let other share there ideas...Good Luck!
When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 ft. closer to God.

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:34 pm

Hi Woody,
I forgot to mention that, block vs. 3D. I'm thinking a block style target.
Additionally, I've notice that many of the block targets come in different sizes. Does the size of the target make any difference?

Woody

Postby Woody » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:43 pm

I think mine is 18" x16". I would think the more surface you have the more room you will have to wear out. Smaller might be easier and even more portable, not sure what your situation is. I personally feel I would lean toward bigger just for when you have more than one shooter you can aim at different areas of the target.
When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 ft. closer to God.

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:57 am

Mine is a Cabela's Arrow Hawk. It's 20" high by 16" wide. I bought it 13 months ago and I've had no troubles with it, but I have nothing to compare it to as this is the only block type target I've ever used. It's supposed to take broadheads,too but I haven't done that yet. I use a RiverBottom Buck 3D target for the broadheads. I paid $35.00 on sale for the Arrow Hawk. I think they are $44.95 normally. 

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:53 am

I don't think you can go wrong with a block or glendel target.  Whatever you settle on just ensure its one that you can shoot both fieldpoints and broadheads into.

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:19 am

Any target that RESEMBLES the one in Wanderer's picture would be a good choice. You can use it for field points and broadheads.
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:45 am

I've had my BLOCK for 6 years and its still going strong.  It's a little soft in the middle now.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

shadow

Postby shadow » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:44 am

I recently got a good deal on a McKenzie shotblocker, bowhunter sized target. No problems with broadheads or fieldtips. I like the McKenzie it is not a straped target or the material isn't compressed into a wooden frame. Thats just me. They all work about the same I'm sure.

I also use a couple very old Delta (I believe), 3-d buck targets. One has been in use for over 15 years and I occasionally just refill the shot out area with canned foam and give it a quick touch up with Light brown paint. Looks new from a distance and it still functions great, I would recomend that type style any day.  My other 3-d target only has about 12 shots into it, its also about 15 years old and sits in the basement waiting for me to get rid of the other. They stop both field tips and broadheads as advertised.

If your handy with a few tools, have some old sheets or clothes you don't need and can get the milk crates to use for a frame, as well as a few other very inexpensive items, build one.
Here are the pictures of the one I built last year, I don't leave it out in the weather, the interior clothing material would surely get ruined by mold, and you can't use broadheads in it but it is an awesome target for field tips and they pull out much easier than any other target I've used.

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:15 pm

I've used block 4x4 and Cabelas layered... both worked just fine. Block 4x4 was $50 more, but we're still using it and the Cabelas target probably needs to be retired this year.

Next

Return to Bows