Hunting Tip

Do you have an interesting field note, photo or observation to share? We want to hear from you!
pete0266

Hunting Tip

Postby pete0266 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:47 am

This really works! The first good snow of the year, walk to your stand dragging your feet, making a trial. Walk by your stand or blind about 15yrds out. When you get past it---fish hook back into your stand or blind. Then sit and wait. I have found that the deer will follow your path. And since the trail is only 15yrds out, you end up with a very close shot. Good Hunting!

charlie 01

Re: Hunting Tip

Postby charlie 01 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:31 pm

It all sounds good, but not all deer will react that way. I've had it back-fire. They hit my tracks and immediately went another way. Some will and some won't , but there is no telling which ones will.
One thing that does work well is, if you have to cross a trail you are hunting, cross it at a spot you can shoot. Reason being, any deer that comes down that trail will pick up your scent and stop there to ponder the situation giving you a standing shot. Guaranteed. If you were to cross that same trail farther down the way, chances are he or she could take another direction.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

kellory

Re: Hunting Tip

Postby kellory » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:01 am

Very true, Charlie.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Return to Deer Browse