Hows your fall mast looking?

Do you have an interesting field note, photo or observation to share? We want to hear from you!
msbadger

Hows your fall mast looking?

Postby msbadger » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:14 pm

We have red oaks... beech ...hickory...basswood...eastern hophornbeam(ironwood)...wild cherry...plus the wild apples and fruits I planted

No or very little acorns for us at home this year...more at camp
the deer are hitting the hophorn...the woods are covered in bass wood seed and our beech trees are dropping there nuts early this year....the cherries are loaded and getting hit hard by every thing and the fruit trees did very well...better than I thought they would...tons of soft mast berries

How are things looking for you?...Will you have a favortite tree to hunt over?

wiqdma

RE: Hows your fall mast looking?

Postby wiqdma » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:50 pm

Apples are loaded!  Red oaks starting to fall.. pretty good year I think. Not a heck of a lot on the white oaks. I have a small patch of oaks that I do like to try to hunt if I can.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:26 am

Both reds and whites are looking good this year where I'm at, lots of reds are falling now.  Went golfing yesterday and anywhere there was a red oak the ground would be covered with acorns.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Stickman

Postby Stickman » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:02 pm

Red and White and water oaks will produce this year but they are at least a month from dropping on the ground. At least here in alabama.

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:28 am

My mast is looking the best it has been in several years.  The trees are generally loaded with acorns. We had the cicadas through in May 2008 and we had a hurricane and an ice storm in the interim. It pruned all the trees and that spurred a lot of new growth.  This year has been rainy and cool, so there has been plenty of water.  The trees have responded tremendously. 

I have two new food plots, but I doubt the plots will be a big issue this year.  My deer will still be chowing down on acorns come The Opener.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:40 am

Red oaks are starting to fall ,the ones that on the ground are small.
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

WIbuckchaser

Postby WIbuckchaser » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:07 pm

Both red and white oak seem to be loaded in my area. Hopefully I can locate the deer early or it could be a rough season.

FIRELTTOM

Postby FIRELTTOM » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:54 pm

Our land in Rusk county Wisconsin is showing a good mast crop from our Red oaks. Surprising a little since last year was huge for our oaks. This is good for us since we have the best concentration of oaks nearby but it'll be tough for the bear hunters sitting baits.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:52 am

Acorns were starting to drop this weekend.  A little earlier than normal.  White oaks are hit and miss, some loaded, some with nothing.  Red oaks looking okay.  White oaks are the ones that are dropping.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:40 pm

West-Central, WI....When I was out last weekend, both the reds and white's were coming down pretty good!
QDM!

Next

Return to Deer Browse