Bedded deer

Do you have an interesting field note, photo or observation to share? We want to hear from you!
msbadger

Bedded deer

Postby msbadger » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:52 am

Today I had 5 deer 2 doe and last years fawns....feed past and down into the woods....at around 7am they bedded down with in sight of the PC room....I was able to occasionally watch them as I did some work and they just now got up to feed some more...moving down hill ...I assume to the streams and grassy areas in the woods...Here they tend to move down hill going W and NW then come back up hill in the afternoon.....When this group first bedded they did so facing south east...wind to their back and as the sun got higher ...got up stretched and turned facing NW...I assume it was so the sun could warm the biggest part of there bodies(back) in these cold temps...here is a pic of one .....

ZEEK

RE: Bedded deer

Postby ZEEK » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:56 am

Ain't we lucky to be able to watch deer from our homes?
Makes it all worth while.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:13 am

This picture of a bedded buck took place in a friends yard in a suburb of Cleveland...Lyndhurst which is not country in any stretch of the imagination. This buck is a true city slicker.  What do you think it weighs/scores??  And no, Lyndhurst does not allow hunting. I checked.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:31 am

Cool picts.  Wish I was lucky enough to live in the country where I could watch the wildlife.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

NC Deer Hunter

Postby NC Deer Hunter » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:54 am

240lbs
135"

NC Deer Hunter

Postby NC Deer Hunter » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:57 am

After further observation

125"

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:41 am

I think 220 is in the right ballpark. He really has some huge hindquarters.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:07 am

So last night I go to feed the goats and there are 4 nice deer in turnips...go back for the camera and they are gone...walking back to house look up in field and 200+ yrds away is the group I think are bedding behind the house....here's the pic....they arrived this a.m. and are now bedded directly under the stand I tried to take an 8pt out of last year(remember the dog chased[:@])....hope this is what the lead doe decides to do for the rest of the year[;)]

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:15 am

I drove back home from Wisconsin Friday afternoon. Working all week in Green Lake County, WI, I saw a total of zero live deer and only one road kill. When I got back to Fulton County Indiana, the deer were lined up along the road like it's a parade route. I went into the hall bathroom and when I glanced out the window, there were eight deer in the cornfield between my house and the woodlot. By the way, one of those eight was the "gimpy" doe I was worried about last fall. She still limps quite a bit, but the fact that she's not an outcast says a lot about her chances for survival. I sure do like livin' with the deer.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:43 am

Great shots guys...Wonderer I'd luv to see that many deer after season...but am very happy to see the two groups  =  ten...that's actually a lot for this time of year here on the hill....and at least two twin baring doe [:)]....Ha that one pic reminded me of a teacher taking her class of wee ones one a field trip....  all lined up...funny what pics bring to mind[;)]

Next

Return to Deer Browse