Young buck and coyote

Do you have an interesting field note, photo or observation to share? We want to hear from you!
charlie 01

Young buck and coyote

Postby charlie 01 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:02 am

Got a trailcam pic of a buck that dosen't seem to be too afraid of a coyote. Don't know what he is thinking, but he is not running away. It could be that there is only one coyote and he can handle that. I'm sure if there was more than one, he would change his tune. Some time ago, somewhere, I saw a pic of an older bigger buck with his antlers and head down facing off with a coyote.
Attachments
Cdy_0015.jpg
Cdy_0015.jpg (147.57 KiB) Viewed 804 times
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Everyday Hunter

Re: Young buck and coyote

Postby Everyday Hunter » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:25 am

charlie 01 wrote:Got a trailcam pic of a buck that dosen't seem to be too afraid of a coyote. Don't know what he is thinking, but he is not running away....

The songdog doesn't seem interested either. Nice photo -- thanks for posting.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

bobow

Postby bobow » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:46 am

That is a great photo, thanks!

Maybe 5 years ago in midday during the rut I came across a large buck chasing a neighbor's German Shepard on the fence line right next to the road. I saw them from a ways off and watch this for more than a mile.

The dog was running for his life for sure! I would think that unless there is more than one yote, they would stand up against them. But depending on the time of year & the deer's temperament, maybe they just don't want to mess with them and just run away? I'll have to stop a big buck and ask this year :D
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:02 pm

bobow, that's unusual, never have seen a buck chase a dog. That buck must have been pissed about something, or could it have been a female German Shepard? You said it was during the rut, right.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

bobow

Postby bobow » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:55 am

charlie 01 wrote:bobow, that's unusual, never have seen a buck chase a dog. That buck must have been pissed about something, or could it have been a female German Shepard? You said it was during the rut, right.

Don't know the sex of the dog but I do remember it was the first week of November so I was assuming it was during the rut. I had not seen the dog before but I assumed it was one of the neighbor's that live close by that I have no contact with.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Return to Deer Browse