Back farm-ogle county

Share the trips you've taken for better or worse, where you like to go, where you don't like to go and how you got there.
jonny5buck

Back farm-ogle county

Postby jonny5buck » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:01 pm

Before i became interested in bow hunting i was brought up hunting rabbits ,Pheasent,and quail& doves.Over the years i have noticed that a lot of the same habitat is always a plus for almost all wildlife.If pheasent and quail thrive it's telling me its some good ground....The back farm..as we called it ...was pheasent heaven..i shot my first rooster at 15 with an old H&R 20 gauge single shot that had to have the hammer pulled back to shoot.

My dad and uncle hunted it for deer .but i was not interested....birds was my obsession..and the quail that almost always got the upper hand were in large numbers beside the woodcock and pheasent.

We no longer hunt that chunk of property and havent in a long long time...my dad says it was some of the best deer ground he has hunted..and he has hunted a lot.. he had ground in wisconsin/finley county.....and hunted in Iola...and prime land down here ...illinois river bottom ....The back farm had a large strip of pines ...........that smell always reminded me of wisconsin.... lake Alice....and of course as kids who could forget Paul Bunyons??

This land also had the gnarliest thickest stuff that almost all the shot deer made it to.....and expired in the briars and willow thickets....the cornfields and indian grass where also an indication of the diversity of this land...it had everything...even a small pond hidden in a small forrest thicket,with cedar trees.
Even though it was a long time ago,i cant help wondering what it looks like now...it was sold .....im not sure if the state owns it and it is a Park now .....or if it is private...i do know it is some of my best hunting memories as a youngster...i can almost smell those pines and hear the crows that called it home....good times..

Woods Walker

RE: Back farm-ogle county

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:13 pm

Uh....it wasn't on Henry Road southwest of Oregon just west of Ridge Road was it?

I hunt a 500 acre place right by there.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:08 pm

Franklin Grove ..i believe...WW -it was along time ago...i do remember the county line road from Lee to Ogle...was the route there...it was half gravel half paved ...otherwise i would have to drive it again to say exactly where it is.[8|]

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:11 am

Jonny5buck,
Would that memory be Lake Alice near Tomahawk, WI? The flowage that was created when they dammed the river then went out on the ice and cut down the trees flush with the ice leaving "stumps" in 40 feet of water? I fished that in a Wisconsin State Mr Bass Tournament many years ago and bounced off a few of those stumps.

buckwild

Re: Back farm-ogle county

Postby buckwild » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:39 am

That is awesome that you guys are so close. I hunt public land in Ogle (mostly Lowden Miller). I have hunted franklin grove during shotgun season a few years ago. Good luck boys!
Semper Fidelis!

Grey Tail

Re: Back farm-ogle county

Postby Grey Tail » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:46 pm

If anyone knows of any good places that isn't extremely hard to get into as far as terrain. I am a older'ish, who's kidding, I am pretty old and a disabled Army Vet from some time back before and up to Dessert Storm. If anyone in Stephenson and or especially Ogle Co. since I live near Forreston knows of a farm or area I can hunt, I would be greatful. I have wanted to do some deer and bird hunting again but don't even know what direction to go as far as asking or knowing a good area that I can hunt at.

Thanks

Return to Hunting Destinations