What to plant?

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
msbadger

RE: What to plant?

Postby msbadger » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:20 pm

I like and plant Appin/pasja turnips....also beets they love beets and those need protection to get a good stand growing....also for protien and good winter/spring eats.... winter tritical(sp)...its a wheat cross...fast growth..handles some moisture....

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:51 pm

Thanks I've been leaning towards turnips, just wanted to see who was having success with what. 

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:19 pm

I have some pics of my plots in natural habitat forum if you'd like to see how I set up a few of my plots

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:02 pm

i like hunting corn feilds i know its a lil late in the year, but other than that apple trees or biologic.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

ukbballfan

Postby ukbballfan » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:46 am

ORIGINAL: OHhunter

What have you had the most success with, when planting late summer/early fall.  I used brasscia's in the past but didn't seem see much activity.

Turnips and winter wheat do well here in KY.  Anyone ever tried Wintergreens by Whitetail Institute?

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:39 pm

Thanks for the tips, the winter wheat or rye is a great addition to keep deer coming all winter long, and also provides a great starting poin when looking for sheds in the late winter and spring.

shaman

What to plant?

Postby shaman » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:16 am

I heard from the guy who does my hay every year.  He's late.  Usually he's done by early June.  He said he'd had a bunch of set-backs this year, and he's about 2 weeks away from coming out to hay.

Usually, when he comes to hay he brings along his Rotovator and chews up a couple of food plots before he gets started on the hay.  Usually I find clover and wheat to be the best choice to plant.  It comes up well and is ready for October.  I've tried a few other mixes, but Ladino clover and wheat have produced the best plots so far.

Now I have to decide what to do.  By the time the Rotovator touches my ground, it will be nearly August.  My goal is to chew up the field to the north of Midway, that big deer blind I built last summer.  It's a plot 200 yards long and about 60 yards wide, running n/s.  It is known for attracting both deer and turkey.

Here's a pic, looking North from the blind at Midway:

The other limitations I have on this project, besides what time of year I'm going to be able to plant are as follows:

1)  I've been out of work for 2 years.  This has to be done on the cheap.
2)  My equipment is limited.  Normally I use my riding lawnmower and tow a spreader and then go back over it with a harrow made from an old  bed spring.  This plot is big enough that I'll probably use the pickup truck instead of the mower.
3)  I'd like to have at least something for the deer to munch in November, but my big concern is that there is something for the Turkeys in the spring.  Both seem to love the clover.
4)  The soil is so-so.  Clover does well, and I'm using it to fix Nitrogen and improve the soil naturally.  It is too acidic for alfalfa. I can't afford to change the PH this year.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

kbdeerdown

Postby kbdeerdown » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:12 am

Interesting weather differences. Hay is off early here in the North (we only get 1 cut) - last 2 years have been really wet but dry this summer. I don't know much about turkey food but sounds like you have the choice made - clover! Maybe mix in some kind of forage rape or kale for the deer this fall to munch on and you're rockin'

bowman12

Postby bowman12 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:57 am

I agree with the using clover, white or ladino, and we mix rye grass in with ours and it can't be beat for November attraction. The rye grass is always very reasonable and if the clover gets to expensive now, frost seed it next spring and spray post on the grass when the clover is sprouting. Good luck!

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:42 am

So are you planting clover for sure? If your asking for something instead of clover that is cheap and puts N into the ground, I recommend a cereal grain like Rye. Cereal Rye, not rye grass.
If your putting clover in but want a cover/nurse crop with it, I would recommend cereal rye again. The reason why I don't recommend rye grass is because it is a perennial and will compete with your clover. Cereal rye will be a good nurse crop and die off in a year, leaving your clover all alone and ready to thrive.
If you can get by without a cover crop then plant clover alone, but cereal rye stores N and also has a chemical in it that helps keep weeds at bay if you need it.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements